Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this book while on a 6,561 round trip vacation, with my Wife, in June 1974 on our new Honda CB750. In High school, I had a CB72 and a CB77 Superhawk so I understood his infatuation with taking care of his bike as a metaphor for mental peace of mind and psychological and physical health. I considered naming my CB750 'PHAEDRA,' in honor of his book but realized that I would have to explain the name to others. I still have several copies somewhere and have read it as recently as 2010.
SAM

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
The article states:

"...Pirsig’s book is an extended (some would say too extended) meditation on quality."

I for sure fall into the "too extended" camp, but I'm still glad I took the time to read this book

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just finished Bob Higdon's book The Higdon Chronicles and he really slams Pirsig, which was uncharacteristic of him, and I don't really know what his beef is. I read Zen........ many years ago and still practice some of the advice regarding motorcycle (or any vehicle) maintenance, such as how to avoid "gumption traps". For example, when going to buy new parts, bring the old ones along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts