Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say "hello" to my new ride!!!

It's a 2004 with 6,000 miles on it. Traded in the Shadow.

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
Hello

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
After all that commotion, dialogue and hand-wringing... :p :biggrin:

Congratulations! Apparently you are feeling better as well and have decided you are able to keep riding. :icon_cool:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Metaldoc: There is a very definite vertical rise to the seat on this bike, that gives me more support in the L4/L5 area. MUCH more comfortable.

This bike is SOLID! I feel it when I ride it. I note the very definite shifter response and the very sensitive clutch.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Okay, explain solid. Since responds better didn't cut it with you. And congratulations. I think.:confused: And no, I don't believe it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Solid: No rattles, no jumpy looseness, no shimmy, felt like a motorized ROCK (not in a bad way).

I'll say THIS...........I will miss the windshield. HUGE difference without one.
Pipes are aftermarket Screaming Eagles, and the Handlebars are aftermarket as well.

It already had the quick connect for the Battery Tender on it, and my plug fit it fine.

Question: when you are starting the bike, (HD), why do you have to wait for that little yellow (or white) light to go out on the display, BEFORE you attempt to start the bike?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Pressurizing the fuel system and internal system checks. If it's been running and hot, just hit the start button. Like if you refuel.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do HD Motorcycles prefer (run better) higher octane gas?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Totally depends on how they are tuned. I suspect your owners manual suggest 91 octane. I run 87 with now problems. But I'm running a tuner with a map that makes it work.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Congrats! Go buy a windshield and ride the crap out of it!

Octane requirements are based on compression first, tune second.

If you can run 87 without getting any "spark knock", you won't hurt anything.

If you get any spark knock or ping, up your octane.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So overall, I'm better off running the higher octane (93, for example) to avoid any unnecessary issues then, right?

-Soupy

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
So overall, I'm better off running the higher octane (93, for example) to avoid any unnecessary issues then, right?

-Soupy
Odds are you will not have any need for anything over 91 in that bike.

Very sharp looking machine, btw. Not a fan of the solid wheels, personally, but she has some really nice lines to her. Where it is an 04, I imagine it is early enough a machine that it still has decent rear suspension travel. Seems a lot of the newer ones have only a couple inches of travel, in the name of lower seat height.

The only change I would do if I had bought the bike would be switching the floorboards to the mid mount position. (more comfortable for me) Beyond that, she looks just about perfect! :71baldboy:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't know of any gas stations around here that have 91 octane, but then again, I haven't been looking for it.

Most of the time I see 87, 89 and 93.

I like the floor boards where they are right now.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!

Anyone know where I can pick up a free Service Manual for this bike (FLSTFI)

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
Did you get the owners manual? if not download one. It should tell you the fuel requirements.

if it was mine I would start with 87 octane, ride the p!$$ out of it. If it pings go up to 89 and do it again. If it pings go to 91/93.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep Critter, I actually DID get an Owners Manual with the bike (not bad, for a used bike).

Unfortunately, I had a satchel on the Shadow that I had mounted on the Passenger backrest; and since the Fatboy doesn't have a backrest yet, I asked them if they would hold it for me til the morning. I'll drive down there in the truck and pick it up. It has the Owners Manual in it, so I can't read up on things tonight.

It also has a Dealership Shirt (figures, right?!) in it that I was given, and a Parts Catalog, and a couple of personal items, and the paperwork stack I had to sign.

I was surprised that the HD Fatboy didn't come with a basic tool kit for whatever. Guess I can't adjust the rear shock if I carry a passenger, eh?

-Soupy

·
8,592 Posts
Congratulations Soupy! That is a beautiful bike.

Harley has a huge accessories catalog and they push the quick release stuff like windshields, backrests and luggage racks and they work very well.

87 octane is all you should ever need if the bike has stock heads and pistons. Money is wasted on higher octane fuel.

Harleys and Goldwings don't come with tools and haven't for many years because they are so reliable, who needs them?

Have fun and enjoy the torque and short shifting.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Beautiful bike there Soup! Enjoy!

EDIT: It looks like that engine has 8.8:1 compression (same as mine), so it should run on Regular all day long... Higher octanes are really needed only for higher compression engines, otherwise it's just a waste of cash....

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
You can order the factory service manual from Boardtracker for like 48 bucks.

Right here it is

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/harley-davidson/2004-softail-service-manual-99482-04

If you spend $100, I think the shipping is free, so maybe shop for a removable windshield, they sell at a 20%(ish) discount...

Or scan some of the Harley forums classifieds, sometimes you can get them in the $30-$35 range.

HD does not offer electronic versions of their manuals, so if you find one, it is pirated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do HD Motorcycles prefer (run better) higher octane gas?
-Soupy
Congratulations on your beautiful new bike - I love the color.
The compression ration on that bike should be like 8.8:1 so like Porky and others here have said, run regular grade gasoline. The high octane gas is needed in higher compression engines and is a waste of money for this bike, and it will also burn slower, foul your plugs and cause performance loss, decreased miles-per-gallon as well as wasting your money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts