Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick background, I recently acquired my license and my brother's first bike, a 2000 V-Star 650, which he purchased in 2000 brand new. In 2001, he had the tank sitting on his work bench and due to a slamming door, a big saw blade fell off a rack and tore a gouge of paint out of the top right side, just above the logo. He repaired the damage by retouching the paint and brushing a bit of clear over it as he did not want to repaint the tank. So the rest of the paint on the bike is gorgeous except for the tank repair, which is super obvious and triggering my slight OCD.

So fast forward to 2014 and the bike is mine and I REALLY want to fix this. The problem is with it being right between the pin striping and the vstar emblem, I would pretty much have to repaint the entire tank, apply new pinstriping and then clearcoat the tank and I would then apply a newer OEM "3D" emblem, the chrome raised ones you see on the newer bikes. My brother is telling me this would be a huge mistake as it will make the bike a pain to sell in a couple of years when I upgrade to a new bike as anyone who sees it will assume it's been repainted due to an accident and won't touch it.

What do you guys think? Is it even worth it or should I just deal with the marks and not start playing around with the paint? I've been quoted $200 to repaint the tank, including the pinstriping and repairing the damaged area.

Dan

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well if it were me, if a whole tank re-paint was necessary I would take the opportunity to get a custom paint job. Nothing wild & crazy like flaming skulls lol, but something tasteful & subtle. Later if you try to sell the bike the buyer won't think "damage repair" they'll just see custom paint.

--> no disrespect intended to guys who like flaming skulls :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Paint it if you want.

But I wouldn't buy that bike after hearing that story.......whats wrong with the bike that after it being 1 yr old the tank had to be off?

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem believing someone if they told me they repainted the tank because of the saw blade incident, especially if the rest of the bike was carefully maintained and didn't show any other signs of being wrecked. Now if they didn't tell me they had the tank painted and I knew that it wasn't original I'd assume they were trying to hide something.

But consider this: That bike is worth, how much? Maybe 2-3 grand? I don't the actual value but it's not an investment grade machine that's going to be worth a lot of money any time real soon, and you don't plan on keeping it, so I'd find better uses for 200 dollars and just live with the ding.

Put a fake bullet hole sticker over it and go for a ride. That's what they make 'em for.:biggrin:

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paint it if you want.

But I wouldn't buy that bike after hearing that story.......whats wrong with the bike that after it being 1 yr old the tank had to be off?
Oh because my brother customized the heck out of it... the tank had to be removed to run the wires for the heated grips and other accessories. He dumped several thousand in to upgrades after he bought it. My brother luuuuvs to tinker with his toys :)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if it were me, if a whole tank re-paint was necessary I would take the opportunity to get a custom paint job. Nothing wild & crazy like flaming skulls lol, but something tasteful & subtle. Later if you try to sell the bike the buyer won't think "damage repair" they'll just see custom paint.

--> no disrespect intended to guys who like flaming skulls :D
I DID think of this option, but for an older bike that I likely will change in a couple of years, an entire repaint is a big investment. If this was an investment in to a bike I planned on owning for the foreseeable future, then I wouldn't hesitate for some flaming skulls :) Actually, maybe this is a guilty pleasure but I'm a classic flames kind of guy, the black base with orange/red flames with the blue outlines. But yeah, will save that for the next bike ;)

Dan

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't have a problem believing someone if they told me they repainted the tank because of the saw blade incident, especially if the rest of the bike was carefully maintained and didn't show any other signs of being wrecked. Now if they didn't tell me they had the tank painted and I knew that it wasn't original I'd assume they were trying to hide something.

But consider this: That bike is worth, how much? Maybe 2-3 grand? I don't the actual value but it's not an investment grade machine that's going to be worth a lot of money any time real soon, and you don't plan on keeping it, so I'd find better uses for 200 dollars and just live with the ding.

Put a fake bullet hole sticker over it and go for a ride. That's what they make 'em for.:biggrin:
Haha I like that :) Thing is, the saddle bags are in rougher shape than the tank in my opinion, so I'd rather do those first. And you're right, I definitely wouldn't do a full paint job on a $2500 bike, but a couple hundred I don't mind. We'll see how we do for the ol' Christmas bonus at work this year I suppose ;) Or I go hunting for bullet hole decals!

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Painting your own bike, unless you're experienced and do it a lot, is a pain in the ballsack. I'm never doing it again. I'll pay to have that job done. It's too time consuming to do it right.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I DID think of this option, but for an older bike that I likely will change in a couple of years, an entire repaint is a big investment. If this was an investment in to a bike I planned on owning for the foreseeable future, then I wouldn't hesitate for some flaming skulls :) Actually, maybe this is a guilty pleasure but I'm a classic flames kind of guy, the black base with orange/red flames with the blue outlines. But yeah, will save that for the next bike ;)

Dan
I wouldn't bother custom-repainting the entire bike, just the tank. Lucky for you the bike is black so use that same shade as the base coat for the tank, then add something subtle like ghost flames. I wouldn't worry about trying to replicate the factory pinstriping or even the Star logo

I was eager to do something like this to my '99 Virago!

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't bother custom-repainting the entire bike, just the tank. Lucky for you the bike is black so use that same shade as the base coat for the tank, then add something subtle like ghost flames. I wouldn't worry about trying to replicate the factory pinstriping or even the Star logo

I was eager to do something like this to my '99 Virago!

That's actually something I really like, I saw something similar but with two tones of silver flames, it was really nice.

Dan

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Two hundred is really cheap to repaint the tank, especially with pin striping. I would keep the thank looking as original as possible.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
1. Save a link to this thread
2. take a good picture of the tank as it is now
3. Have your painter take a picture or two of the tank as they are fixing it. Then file the repair bill away. You could also include in the picture a daily newspaper to verify the date the picture or pictures were taken.

That would be just about proof positive that the repair was for cosmetic purposes and the new owner would have no worries that the tank was built out of Bondo. It's your bike. If the repairs make for your enjoyment, then by all means do them.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
3. Have your painter take a picture or two of the tank as they are fixing it. Then file the repair bill away. You could also include in the picture a daily newspaper to verify the date the picture or pictures were taken.
Now that is about as rock solid as could ever be hoped for.:)

You think like a lawyer, Slumlord. Or an evidence technician.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ebay

Go to Ebay and find a different tank. There are probably a few listed and they will have pictures of the condition. I bought one that way for a V Star 1300. About 1/3 the price of new.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. Save a link to this thread

That would be just about proof positive that the repair was for cosmetic purposes and the new owner would have no worries that the tank was built out of Bondo. It's your bike. If the repairs make for your enjoyment, then by all means do them.
This is a really good suggestion, thank you. I was also thinking exactly what lstayner suggested.. maybe pick up a used tank and get that one redone the way I want and just swap it out.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Tank

What Slumlord said about taking pictures.
You could prepare the tank for painting, and let a pro do the spraying.

Or lets take two older bikes:
A $10,000.00 Triumph Bonneville. My under $1,000.00 Yamaha XS400.
I would pay to have the Bonny painted, I just painted my Yami with a brush.

One day my ex wife's horse dragged his teeth up the boot ( trunk lid ) of my recently painted 53 Bentley. Did the same to the hood on my farm truck.

Unkle Crusty

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I would too Blaine. I actually don't even see a need to have one. They used to earn their keep(barely). But now they are just another money pit.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Horse

I would have shot the horse.
Bottom teeth of the horse. Went right through to the metal.
She sold the horse, could never find one that suited her. Said if only she had a horse like mine, she would be happy. So I gave her my horse and left. I was 58.
The Bentley got sold but I still have the old truck. My horse's name was Bentley, him being two tone grey.
Got divorced and found a new sweetheart. Now I do all the things that pissed her off.
Like scraping the excess jam on my knife, back in the jar, keeping stuffed bears, riding motorcycles, and anything else I can think of.
Life is good.

Unkle Crusty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts