Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what it is like in the US to commute work by bike. I lived in Houston for a couple of years and to be honest, I would not have had the guts to ride to work by bike, it was dangerous enough by car!

Back in England, I am lucky enough to live in the country now with some excellent bike roads. It is a good excuse to give the bikes a run and these are a couple of videos of my commute one day on my Honda CB750 Cafe racer.

No jokes about riding on the wrong side of the road!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2DZNiGhzvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKEVM0MrjU

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Way too many buildings for my comfort. I rode to work, before I retired, on roads that only had a building on the side every half a mile or so. Those were farm houses that were often 100 yards or more from the road so it was almost like riding with no buildings around. Where you are riding would have made me nervous. I never know what to expect from any building that is close to the road. Vehicles could come out of anywhere.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For me, its all highway. If I rode to work a lot, Id probably be looking at more of a sport/touring bike that has cruise control.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can get use to the heavy traffic. I had a job where I rode to work in heavy traffic and it took a couple months to be not scared, just cautious.

Always be alert!

Currently it is mostly country roads so not too bad except for animals.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
My ride to work is...oh wait, I don't work anymore...I'm retired. :D

Anyway, I live in a rural area and when hubby & I did work, we had a 4 lane (Not Interstate) limited access road to ride. It really was nice not having to worry about someone pulling out in front of us or a left turning cager. And we were lucky in that the times we went to work wasn't "rush hour".

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
I live in Los Angeles, so traffic central....
I work 3pm-11pm, so my commute to work has it's fair share of traffic, but once I pass the downtown area it's pretty much lane splitting the whole way. The commute home is much more peaceful

·
Registered
503 Posts
I ride to work a lot but after so many days I enjoy driving the car. Riding to work seems to take some of the fun out of riding for me. My ride to work is mostly hwys around 60 mph at 5 am so there isn't a lot of traffic. If the temp is going to be over 90 I enjoy the air conditioner of the car on the way home. When the sun is going down in the evening I'll take a nice enjoyable ride in the country. When riding to work in the morning I have a very hard time pulling into the parking lot. The desire to keep on riding is way too tempting.

·
6,509 Posts
For the last 15 years that I have lived in the country in Southwest Missouri, I have commuted to work on absolutely beautiful country roads, where maybe 1 mile of the 12 mile one way total is in the city. Sometimes I may only see a dozen cars on the roads for the entire drive. It's not uncommon to ride for miles and miles on a Sunday afternoon, after Church and see so few people on the roads that it is strange---but I like it:) I ride to work when the weather is clear and anywhere from 45 to 95 degrees.

My commute to work when I lived in southern California was only 20 miles from Bellflower to Los Angeles and EVERYDAY it took 2 hours to get to work and 2.5 to get home. I rarely rode a motorcycle because I don't like sitting in traffic and breathing exhaust fumes.

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I live in Maryland and work in DC. I take a major road and the highway. It was one of reasons why I started riding. I'm rarely late now that I ride to work.:biggrin: I do admit that you have to be focused because everyone is for the most part rushing to get to their jobs. Riding to work has also turned me into a morning person. I use to be a grouch in the mornings(lol). However that morning ride gets me in a great mood to start the day. I've cut my gas expenses from $60 bucks a week to 15 bucks a week. The parking lot attendants has designated a special spot for me. Two of my co-workers have started riding to work since I started. If it's not raining, I'm riding.
It would be a better world if everyone rode to work...........

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
How's the riding around Bowie??

Jahuth:
I live in Fairfax and usually ride south, west and north, but never in your area.
Is the riding fun around Bowie?
Do you head east and south?
Should I be trying your area for a good day's ride?
goalie

·
Registered
535 Posts
I ride to work every day I don't work from home. Oh, I'm not in the US.

Today it was raining almost all the way, but the ride was still nice.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Jahuth:
I live in Fairfax and usually ride south, west and north, but never in your area.
Is the riding fun around Bowie?
Do you head east and south?
Should I be trying your area for a good day's ride?
goalie
Hi goalie. There are some decent areas not far from me. Route 2, route 4, are very nice rides. I do ride south when I have the time. I will take 301 rather than the beltway. You can definately check it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ride to work as much as possible (basically as long as it isn't raining when I leave, and it is reasonably warm). Short commute at about 6 miles, but I tend to take the direct route in on a two lane county road. I will then take the "long" way home and put in an hour or two on various routes to relax after work. Having grown up in the city no real issue riding on a major interstate or other highway, I just pay attention to who and what is around me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It literally takes me 7 minutes to get from my apartment, on my bike, and to work. :p
I live about 1 mile down the road from work.
Only problem is, there is a red light that I always have to run because it will not turn green for me. Unless I see other cars of course.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'll give it a try

Hi goalie. There are some decent areas not far from me. Route 2, route 4, are very nice rides. I do ride south when I have the time. I will take 301 rather than the beltway. You can definately check it out.
I need to be in Jessup early one Saturday in the next couple of months, so I'll probably head through your neck of the woods afterward.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
My commute is over an hour and not very rider friendly. However I promised myself this is my last year of commuting. And I intend to semi retire, and find a less stressful job close to home. Being able to sleep an extra hour or two in the morning and ride into work is on my list of priorities.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
back when I worked I had a nice short 4 mile ride to work, all back roads...but for the last 5 years I just ride whenever I feel like it (I'm retired too, but for disability reasons) I like the looks I get from people when I pull up to a light and they see the O2 line run from my saddlebag to my face :biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ride to work everyday, which earlier this year gave me floodwater and torrential rain, and last year even a bit of snow. Never had so much fun on a bike!:71baldboy:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts