Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helmet technology is changing, we are starting to see motorcycle helmets with a slip plane know as Multi-directional Impact Protection System (MIPS).

Neurosurgeon know that they still get patients with brain injuries even when they had been wearing a motorcycle helmet at the time of their accident. Greg Shapleigh decided to change helmet design, because current helmets aren’t doing enough. Greg’s research resulted in a slip plane that allows the head to rotate in any direction by 10-15mm. This reduces the forces that are transferred to the brain by up to 40%.

The uptake of MIPS by motorcycle helmet manufactures has been slow. Here’s a LINK to the best motorcycle helmets. Like most safety technology it takes time for it to be widely adopted, but pro riders are starting to request it.

What do you think?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the MIPS would be useful in motorcycle and bicycle helmets. The possible high speeds and forces potentially involved with a motorcycle however probably reduce the effectiveness comparatively with lower energy impacts.

I do think that a helmet with airbag technology that would inflate a neck brace or a jacket with such a feature could be a better strategy overall since I think we are really talking neck and spinal injury mitigation as well as reducing concussive forces.

Probably best however is to actually wear a helmet, that does wonders for force reduction/protection, the rest is like icing on the cake.

J

·
Registered
272 Posts
My brother in law has lived in Japan for over 25 years and he told me about airbag technology many years ago. It was a jacket that had several bags to protect neck back and chest cool concept however my fear is a false activation which would cause a major accident!
I just googled this and clearly there are a number of similar products on the market now and available here.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
How much equipment does it take before riding is no longer any fun? I ride for the sheer joy of it, and will admit that my idea of a perfect ride is on a warm summer morning where I am dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. I wear a 3/4 helmet because I find that more comfortable than no helmet at all (I hate when my now longish hair is blowing in my face), and gloves because I find it more comfortable than without them. I do wear boots because shifting with canvas sneakers is not very comfortable.

I KNOW that I would be much safer if I always wore a jacket with built in armor, armored pants, higher boots, thicker and reinforced gloves, and certainly a full face helmet with the visor in the down position, but that would also likely take away much of my enjoyment in riding. So I accept the higher risk, more at some times, less at others, as my right and freedom. I have no problem with improved safety availability, whether through new products or improved products or truly revolutionary ideas like the Goldwing airbag, but fear that as these products are developed we might well face government mandates to use them "for our own good".

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
I'm with you, Vito. I wear jeans and a T shirt. I wouldn't ride without a helmet, but my helmet is a police style half helmet
with a visor that slides up inside the helmet, made by HJH.
If I had to wear all the....stuff....that I see some of these people
wearing in the summer, there WOULD be an accident.
I'd pass out from the heat and be found wrecked at the side of the road, dead!
Sure all that clothing is safe in a crash.
But I dress to enjoy the ride, not to crash.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
When I was an NSF instructor we would tell the students to "dress for the crash, not for the ride" but I agree, if taken literally, it would make riding less than the fun it normally is. Riding in the early Spring, or late Fall, I wear an armored textile jacket so that I don't feel overly cold. At that point the jacket adds to the fun, rather than detracts from it. I always take a decent jacket when on a long ride, just in case the weather changes (hard rain on bare skin is no fun). Two years ago I made a solo 2,500 mile ride to the Tennessee/North Carolina area at the end of August. Temps ranged during the trip from the very high 80's to the upper 90's. The jacket never came out of my side case the entire trip. And what was really nice was that I never once needed my rain suit during this 7 day adventure. But I was wearing a helmet, a Shoei Neotec, but most of the time the chin section was in the fully up position to allow maximum airflow onto my face.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Thank the Lord, some common sense. When I drive my cage I do not dress as if I'm going to be in a NASCAR race, or drive a nitro funny car. It isn't practical nor is it my preferred dress mode. Same with the bike.

To those who want to dress ATGATT please have at it. It's not for me, I dress for comfort and I ride for fun. Also, I find no enjoyment in discovering what is the coldest weather I can withstand while on 2 wheels. Heated gloves, vest, jacket, boots, socks or whatever else is needed to stay warm is just a dollar sign to me, it adds nothing to the enjoyment of the ride.

I'm with Vito and offcenter, jeans, t-shirt, boots, maybe gloves is all I require. Helmet I use 50 percent of the time. Warm temperature's go without saying...

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
To those who want to dress ATGATT please have at it. It's not for me, I dress for comfort and I ride for fun. Also, I find no enjoyment in discovering what is the coldest weather I can withstand while on 2 wheels. Heated gloves, vest, jacket, boots, socks or whatever else is needed to stay warm is just a dollar sign to me, it adds nothing to the enjoyment of the ride.

I'm with Vito and offcenter, jeans, t-shirt, boots, maybe gloves is all I require. Helmet I use 50 percent of the time. Warm temperature's go without saying...
Although I do have a heated vest, and it works well, riding in the cold weather looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy does not add to the fun.
It becomes more of an endurance test than anything else.
There is a local New Years day chili-chili ride here Tuesday.
But I have no desire to go.
At this point, I just sit here and wait for spring. (sigh)

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
For most of us the neck is exposed. Sometimes we may have a scarf or something else around it.
A good friend and coworker died from a tree branch entering his neck and heading upwards. Not a pretty site.
Yet none of these new helmets or airbags, or fancy boots, or armor, do much to protect our necks.
So we are left with " the probability of an event happening " to quote insurance language, and do we care.
My friend likely froze before entering the jungle. Had he dropped the bike and slid a long way, he likely would still be alive.

I am quoting from first handle knowledge, having spoken with the guy that was riding next to him at the time, and picking up the pieces. We also know what happened from the inquest.
Another friend had the same brake failure on the same type of bike. He dropped the bike and slid and is still with us. Again all first hand info.

UK

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Although I do have a heated vest, and it works well, riding in the cold weather looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy does not add to the fun.
It becomes more of an endurance test than anything else.
There is a local New Years day chili-chili ride here Tuesday.
But I have no desire to go.
At this point, I just sit here and wait for spring. (sigh)
No need to look like the Doughboy at least when the temps are in the 30s. So far I've been wearing non-motorcycle boots, regular jeans, heated winter riding gloves, t-shirt, light hoody, & a winter motorcycle coat...and a helmet. Doesn't feel bulky at all to me.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Wouldn't you know. I just bought a new helmet and already an antique. Makes a person want to say screw it all. Technology is always changing. I'd much prefer they create something that would keep a car from pulling into my lane or make a left turn in front of me. It's coming but when it's here, what will motorcycles be then too? Until then, I'll just ride with what I have and take whatever risk is involved. Oh, and not go suing Clothing, helmet or motorcycle companies because I don't have the latest and greatest because it costs too much. You just know someone will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts