Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in article about Harley Davidson, some one wrote: "You haven't ridden a motorcycle unless you've ridden a Harley."
I'd like to point out the absurdity of this statement because it has been bothering me all day. I could state the same thing about a Ducati race bike, or a BMW GS adventure, or a 60's triumph triple, or a bored out Honda Grom, or an old Indian with a suicide clutch....
All motorcycles are beautiful as long as you the rider experience true joy and freedom. Don't be bullied by fanatics that cling to a brand. Enjoy the experience.... It is yours and yours alone.
PS Oh yeah, wave to fellow cyclists when you can! It's a joy that ALL should acknowledge. Don't fall victim to name branding and belittling other riders who don't own the style of bike you or your friends ride. We are all riders.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Well I got to admit the first Harley I rode was a disappointment. At the time, I owned my '94 ZX11 Kawasaki Ninja. It was time for Bikes, Blues and BBQ and my fuel pump decided it was done.

My cousin had bought himself a new Heritage Softail Classic but he still had his 1200 Sportster. He told me I could ride his Sportster to BB&BBQ.

Great! I'm thinking this is the first Harley for me and it's their Sportster, the "sporty" one in their lineup. Naturally, riding someone else's bike, I'm taking it easy and not wanting to do anything stupid or put any kind of a mark on it.

On my Kawasaki if I wanted to go faster, well, just thinking about going faster would increase my speed about 20 MPH. After riding the Sportster awhile and getting comfortable with it, I decided to "open it up" on the highway. It just got louder and seemed to think about going faster. So I was a bit disappointed with my first Harley.

I know it's not an apples and apples comparison, and I'm not trying to bash Harley, (or Kawasaki fuel pumps) it was just the way I felt the first time I rode a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get me wrong, I like the low end tourque and all the beauty of a Harley (particularly the street glide) ... It's just not the ONLY beautiful machine in the world. Enough said.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I have been on a stock Harley, and a chopper. Both around 1970. I have been on many more far more satisfactory bikes.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Well a Sportster is just a Sportster but the Harley Big Twin is its own unique machine.
If you've never ridden one of the latest Big Twins (Harley) then you need to.
And that's coming from a Japaneses bike riding, died in the wool hot rod sport bike performance freak.
Nuff Said

S F

(Wait, did I just take up for Harley)???

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
If I die before I have been on a Big Twin, I will not be sad. Honest. I imagine it would be about the opposite to my TD2B Yamaha.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
If I die before I have been on a Big Twin, I will not be sad. Honest. I imagine it would be about the opposite to my TD2B Yamaha.

UK
So I had to look up what a TD2B is, or was.
Do you still have one? I guess you raced them. That had to be a BLAST.
Ain't the rear tire toooo narrow? I bet that bike could high side a guy in about the space of a heart beat.
BTW. Not sure "opposite" is the right term for comparison... Lol

S F

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Comparing a Kawasaki ZX11 to a Sportster or 99% of the bikes on the road at the time is ludicrous in itself.:oops:

My past V-max, Yoshimura 1200S Bandit, My Buell 1125R Superbike and my recently sold Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, are/ were FASTER than most bikes but SO WHAT. :unsure:

There is still nothing like riding all day and all night on a Harley Davidson Electra Glide, totally comfortable and feeling the friendly rumble of the bike as another 1,000 mile trip soothes your mind and the worlds problems fade away for a while.(y)

Advertising and word of mouth is where it's at to market anything and 'hype,' has always been part of the equation.:rolleyes:

Sam

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Well a Sportster is just a Sportster but the Harley Big Twin is its own unique machine.
If you've never ridden one of the latest Big Twins (Harley) then you need to.
And that's coming from a Japaneses bike riding, died in the wool hot rod sport bike performance freak.
Nuff Said

S F

(Wait, did I just take up for Harley)???
All Sportsters are not the same, that I can promise you. I'll take the Sportster engine over the other big twins any day.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
So I had to look up what a TD2B is, or was.
Do you still have one? I guess you raced them. That had to be a BLAST.
Ain't the rear tire toooo narrow? I bet that bike could high side a guy in about the space of a heart beat.
BTW. Not sure "opposite" is the right term for comparison... Lol

S F
The 250 Yamaha production road race bike, was faster than a bunch of bigger bikes of the day. They won the 350 clas at the IOM for many years. They handled real sweet. We would often get 20 or more bikes on the grid, including Steve Baker and other hot shoes. The bikes weighed 220 pounds. Decent tyres of the day worked fine. No one high sided.
There were no idle screws in 2 large carbs. Idle was around 3000 controlled by the throttle. There was no power below 8000. Mine was the first of the 6 speed bikes. The next year had liquid cooling and a front disc. They fetch a good price these days. I sold mine a long time ago. Our Yamaha guy imported them. The US North West did not. We would run them a year or two, and sell them to WA and OR riders. The weight and lake of power below 8000, would be close enough to opposite from a Harley for me. Being a rider and a senior, I reserve the right to stretch the facts a bit. You Tube has video of Spike Edwards riding these old 2 strokes. They also made a 350 that won Daytona, against the bigger bikes.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My son just bought a brand new Low Rider with the 107 c.i. engine yesterday. Wants me to ride it and see how much power it has. I told him spring is coming and I'll ride it when the temperatures are more comfortable for me.
That's two in the family right now.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
In the interest of accuracy I did some research. The younger folks do not have a clue when describing these bikes.
Some of the older folks have worse memory than me, and or they did not ride them. One old racer did say " I have a lot of respect for anyone who can ride one "
One guy described the front brake as useless compared to a disc. Stupid statement.
Another described it as a big old front brake. Hardly a reasonable description for a large four leading shoe unit, that could lock the front wheel with two fingers at 120.
Horsepower was around 45 or more, not 30 as quoted somewhere. 250 strokes would ultimately get more than 80 hp.The 6 speed started with the TD3. I probably had a TD2B. and later a TD3.

I should probably use another thread for old 2 stroke bikes. But they were the farthest thing from a Harley i could think of.

UK

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!!!
For the last 50 years and over 300,000 miles, I thought I was riding motorcycles!!!
15 of 'em in fact!!!
And now I find out that since none of 'em were Harleys, I wasn't riding motorcycles at all!!!!!
(Sheesh! I wonder what I WAS doing, since I spent an awful lot of time and
money doin' it!)

Reactions: Porky

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
"You haven't ridden a motorcycle unless you've ridden a Harley, but you meet the nicest people on a Honda." Both advertisement slogans and shouldn't upset you.

TR - Not all Sportsters are the same, and I am sure you have proven that to many who thought otherwise.

And Krusty you are a badass and I mean that in a good way. Is there anything you haven't ridden?

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
They also made a 350 that won Daytona, against the bigger bikes.
Yes, wasn't that 350 very similar, or some version of what guys like me know as the RD350?
I'm thinking the Daytona winning bike may have been liquid cooled? I used to know more about it but I've slept a few times since then and memory fades. (TZ350 maybe)?
My RD350 was a bear coming off the starting line. The avatar I'm using now shows what I mean. No power in the lower RPM and a rocket when you get it on the pipe.
All my buddies would come watch the start so they could see if I was gonna "loop it". Never did, came close a few times.

S F

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Yamaha RD 250 LC was my dream when I was 18.
I couldn’t afford the 900 pounds for one at the time.
I saved up and blew my cash. 699 pounds for a Kawasaki Z 250 instead. rode it like I stole it.
Still wish I had one of those. probably just as well I didn’t.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts