Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I have always found that forums are the best place to get good information and generate discussion, so here goes!

I am 45 and a first time rider. I have taken the MSF Safety Class (by the way this was probably the best $250 I ever spent...the class is great and in my opinion someone totally new to riding would be nuts not to take it). Now I just need to go take my written exam next week and should be good to go!

Of course...the whole point of this is...I want a bike :)

I've done a lot of reading and I have gone in and looked/sat on the bikes I am interested in, as well as the ones I am not....just to see. I had my heart set on a cruiser, but in person...I find them to be too wide and bulky for my first bike. I also am uncomfortable with the whole foot forward thing. I like to have the break and gearshift more under me. I just feel more comfortable that way, and I like the more narrow bike.

So I turned by eyes away from the V-Star, Boulevard and Shadow Spirit and looked a little more closely at the Bolt the Shadow RS and the Iron 883.

I found these 3 bikes to be much comfortable for me. I am 5'9 175 and 29" inseam, so for my first bike, I liked the narrow and low semi-cruiser styling. They felt very manageable when leaning from side to side...none of them feel too heavy for me to manage, and I really like that about them.

Ok so I like the Bolt a lot, but it is a tad more than I was hoping to spend. My question is that this 2014 "leftover" went from $8,299 MSRP to $10,555 out the door. I am ok with sales tax, tags and title, etc. What I really want to know is...

1) Is this "Set Up/Assembly Fee" something I should be paying for? It is about $800.
2) Should I expect a discount off MSRP for a 2014? What about a 2015? 2%, 5%? When I buy a car I would say I usually get them down by 5-10% depending on the car.

The salesman was extremely nice and helpful. He really seemed to be pushing the Yamaha, and in fact the Bolt was for me the best of all worlds for me. He is also offering free delivery since it's 50 miles away and I am not ready for the freeway yet...and $450 in gear. I want to be fair...I know they have to make money too, but something just doesn't seem right paying MSRP...especially on a 2014. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on what my reasonable expectations should be? We are also getting late in the season so I would think they want to sell off as much as they can. Also...I believe that dealer invoice is about $7700 on this bike from what I can tell.

Thanks All!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Always negotiate a price. It can't hurt to try to talk them down. What's the worst that can happen? They say no. Then you have to decide, am I willing to pay full price or try another dealership? When I brought my bike, they wanted 6700 out the door. I told them I had 6000 cash on hand, and I couldn't pay a dime more. They salavated and I walked out with a new bike....

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I'm a HUGE proponent of buying used, especially for a first bike. Of course, I feel the same way about ANY bike purchase, and all 7 of my bikes have been bought used. I can't stomach the thought of the instant depreciation the moment you ride off the lot...

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I agree with Primalu. I've never bought a new bike from a dealer, and never plan to, but having worked in them I agree that you should always make an offer, and never pay what's on the tag. I'm not sure how the "set-up" fee works, as it is surely different from dealer to dealer and state to state.

The Bolt is $8,300? I was recently with a friend looking at an Iron 883 Sportster and I swear I remember it was also listed at just a little more then that. For about the same price you could buy the real thing from Harley instead of a copy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys...much appreciated. I was looking at used bikes, found some nice ones too, but nothing yet where I was like.."That's it". The used selection around me is not the greatest unless I trek to the Bay Area or Los Angeles...and honestly...not ready to ride the bike back from those places yet...LOL. I suppose I will continue to keep my eye open locally.

The nice thing about the dealership was I got to see a bunch of them all together and see differences that I may not have otherwise noticed or knew about. But I agree with you guys...I am going to handle this like a car and just be willing to get up and go if it's not in my area. I am betting they will call back in a few days.

Eye_m_no_angel...I was thinking about that too....the Iron 883 is a nice bike....I will have to go back to the Harley Dealer...I was in there in the Spring and I seem to remember them tacking on a lot of extras, but even so...we're in the ballpark.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
First bike, always buy used.
You'll save all that sales tax.
And pre-scratched, pre-dented is a lot more relaxing to ride.
There are SO many bikes that get bought, ridden one season, then done. You can get exactly what you want if you use a nationwide craigslist search engine, like dailylister.com

Not only that, wait until there's a foot of snow outside and you'll save ANOTHER $500-1000 versus a springtime buy.

Cheers -- and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wadenelson....thanks and I think that is excellent advice. I was looking to buy used, just haven't found that right one yet. I wish I lived where it snows...LOL. We can pretty much ride all year around here with the right gear. I know I would be much more patient if I was already on a bike and looking to upgrade...then at least I could ride right now. (Today it is gorgeous outside about 85 and sunny).

If I could grab a used Shadow RS for $3k I would certainly take it even though it wouldn't be my first choice. :) Once the initial hit of depreciation takes effect, it seems like used bikes REALLY hold their value.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
wadenelson....thanks and I think that is excellent advice. I was looking to buy used, just haven't found that right one yet. I wish I lived where it snows...LOL. We can pretty much ride all year around here with the right gear. I know I would be much more patient if I was already on a bike and looking to upgrade...then at least I could ride right now. (Today it is gorgeous outside about 85 and sunny).

If I could grab a used Shadow RS for $3k I would certainly take it even though it wouldn't be my first choice. :) Once the initial hit of depreciation takes effect, it seems like used bikes REALLY hold their value.
I think you said it yourself...

I spent the Summer searching and researching, looking at different bikes, some nights l thought l was going to go crazy. Over the course of a couple of months my choice changed several times. I had a list of things l wanted and in the end, l got all but one thing on my list, and in my price range. My time was well spent.

One thing that someone said here that was really helpful to me was that l am buying my first bike, not my last bike. I didn't need to worry about what it could do for me down the road, l just needed to find a bike that would meet my needs in the present. That simplified everything and made it much easier! I bought a bike that is a great starter for someone with some riding experience, but it also has enough juice that l won't get bored on it.

Whatever you decide, l wish you well...and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I agree with Primalu. I've never bought a new bike from a dealer, and never plan to, but having worked in them I agree that you should always make an offer, and never pay what's on the tag. I'm not sure how the "set-up" fee works, as it is surely different from dealer to dealer and state to state.

The Bolt is $8,300? I was recently with a friend looking at an Iron 883 Sportster and I swear I remember it was also listed at just a little more then that. For about the same price you could buy the real thing from Harley instead of a copy.
+2
What Primalu and Eye said!:biggrin::icon_cool:
Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys...I went with the Harley and got it for cheaper. Strange to me that the Harley would be cheaper...I almost completely passed on it because I heard they get marked up...not the case at my local Harley dealer...so I am happy. :) really happy :) I quit smoking in May so the bike payment is less than my smoking habit was.....and much more satisfying!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Quitting smoking is the best thing you could have done for yourself. Congratulations!

And congrats on the new scoot too!

Even though you just got it, you might want to call a company called "JP Cycles" and have them send you a catalogue. It's free, and it makes for great browsing and will start to give you a lot of ideas of things that you can do to that bike. You might choose to keep it totally stock, but looking at the available options can be a lot of fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts