Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You start to think deer are your biggest threat and then something BIGGER comes along...

>Motorcyclist injured trying to avoid bear
A motorcyclist took a spill Monday morning trying to avoid a bear on U.S. Highway 160 about eight miles west of Hesperus.

(From the Durango Herald, no additional details)

Brown bears have repopulated SW Colorado. It's only a matter of time until there's a a serious bear/human incident. Townies still leave their garbage unlocked despite endless PSAs, warnings, ...

After a bear dines on some yuppies kid in their back yard things will BEGIN to change...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Wow :eek: & that photographer deserves a medal for his reaction speed

I've wondered if those "deer whistles" would be a good addition on a motorcycle that lives in dense deer country. Yeah sure there's lots of controversy whether or not the whistles actually work... but hey they're only $5-10. No harm sticking on on the front somewhere

·
Registered
304 Posts
I read a story a few years ago about a guy in New Jersey who killed 2 coyotes that were near his house on separate occasions. One of them was tagged with one of the insurance companies ( forget which one) logos on it. The reporter investigated and found that insurance companies release them in certain areas in order to reduce the deer population because of the auto claims they were getting. I live in a rural area with deer and have had several close calls in my car and one on my bike. . I’m not to far from one of our state game lands actually. I’ve seen a few coyotes, and ever since I reading that story I wondered if it was released or not.

·
American Legion Rider
18,537 Posts
At what point will they release pigs because pigs destroy fields so then there would be no graze causing deer to migrate. Logical process. Right?

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
...I've wondered if those "deer whistles" would be a good addition on a motorcycle that lives in dense deer country. Yeah sure there's lots of controversy whether or not the whistles actually work... but hey they're only $5-10. No harm sticking on on the front somewhere
Read the packaging, Usually they are supposed to be so far apart in clean airflow. There is also usually a left and right side. As a mechanic I had customers giving mixed feelings about them, I'm wondering how many (working or not) were installed per instructions?
I had one customer ask me to install a set, package said place them three feet apart. How many bikes are that wide?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've tried deer whistles, they just don't work, nor do loud pipes or much of anything else. The darn things will stand in the middle of the road and just look at you, the only thing that is worse is cows in our area.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
Maybe it's just me (or mine?), but I've found my motorcycle horn does wonders to scare deer off the road and away from it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Saw a couple of deer crossing down the road on last night's ride but it was the young bear who was a problem - he just stood in the middle of the road and watched the bike come toward him. He didn't move until I was about 20 feet away, laid on the horn, and hit the throttle.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
We had to stop for bear a couple of times on our Yellowstone trip. Almost hit a half-dozen or so elk that jumped a fence just in front of us as well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bear? That's nothing.
Yup, I would have done exactly what that rider did!

The bears around here aren't usually any trouble - they are just fattening up for winter. A bear that DOESN'T move out of the way however should NOT be challenged (unless you are packing HEAVY HEAT!)

·
American Legion Rider
18,537 Posts
What you want to be leery of is moose. Those suckers are mean! About like them elephants only faster.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I road between a mother bear and her cubs one day in Yosemite; I didn't see the cubs until I began to pass her. Fortunately she was far enough away I was able to take off before she could catch me. I will never do that again, ever.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts