Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home on the last 100 miles of a 1000 mile trip home from visiting my son in July 2013, I passed this bike, with a woman at the controls, on I-25 - I was running about 80 and she was putting along in the right lane about 45 or 50 mph. When I approached it from behind, I thought sheet ! That's a LOT of crapola loaded on that bike. A few minutes later, I pulled off to get gas about 20 miles south of Albuquerque. After gassing up and drinking a bottle of Gatorade, I was about to climb back on my bike when the pulled into the gas station. When she hit that small bump where the parking lot meets the street, all of that sheet on her bike toppled over the back onto the driveway and got drug up to gas pump by what looked like 50 bungee cords. I stuck around and helped her load it back up on the bike. It was a couple hundred pounds of stuff stuffed into duffle bags and tarps, some of it WAY oversized. AND she didn't have a sissy bar on the bike, nothing but the seat and a tiny luggage rack. It had nothing vertical to stabilize the load or to tie things to. 6 foot bungee cords hooked under one side of the seat, went strait up and over the top of the load, then straight down and strapped to the other side of the seat. I let her know that what she was doing was extremely dangerous and that on her trip up from El Paso to Albuquerque, she was lucky she hadn't caused an accident. She didn't appreciate my opinion and tied things back down the best she could then headed on down the road.....

Attachments

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I think you inadvertently discovered the reason why she was traveling xc, solo, WITH all of her earthly possessions. And IF it is someone else's bike, perhaps her (now) ex, that might also explain her riding well under the speed limit. Don't want to draw attention to yourself, ya know. :biggrin:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Even though my wife rides her own bike, this is why I was hesitant to put saddlebags on mine. My wife ALWAYS brings home more stuff then she left with in the morning. I had to make a new rule while riding, "Carry your own stuff!" ;)

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Weight wise, she's fine... could be a 200lb passenger....

But with no sissy bar to stabilize... eeek.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least she was doing it, and doing it on her own.
I certainly believe in each deciding for ourselves - point in case; helmet use. I wear one and require my wife to have one on before mounting our VTX, but I seriously believe in the right to decide that four yourself. My only issue with this was for her own, or someone else's safety. The tiny little hump pulling into the gas station made all of that stuff dis-lodge and fall off the bike. What if that had happened 15 minutes earlier on I-25? She could easily have killed herself or someone else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I certainly believe in each deciding for ourselves - point in case; helmet use. I wear one and require my wife to have one on before mounting our VTX, but I seriously believe in the right to decide that four yourself. My only issue with this was for her own, or someone else's safety. The tiny little hump pulling into the gas station made all of that stuff dis-lodge and fall off the bike. What if that had happened 15 minutes earlier on I-25? She could easily have killed herself or someone else.
Exactly, just a total lack of consideration/respect for fellow road users. Just an accident waiting to happen.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I saw this idiot a few years ago while coming back from the Black Hills. (It was at Pipestone monument in MN, I believe.)

Glad I wasn't riding behind him.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
A friend took this pic. That's a lot of stuff. Wonder how the bike handles with all that luggage hanging from it?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
That's a lot of stuff. Wonder how the bike handles with all that luggage hanging from it?
No kidding! :eek:

The bags on the back probably aren't a problem but the ones hanging on the front sure look like they would inhibit steering. (Maybe he likes the protection they offer?) :confused:

·
Registered
699 Posts
No kidding! :eek:

The bags on the back probably aren't a problem but the ones hanging on the front sure look like they would inhibit steering. (Maybe he likes the protection they offer?) :confused:
Being gloveless, I am not sure he is super concerned about protection. ( and yes, I do realize you are probably talking about wind. )

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I saw this idiot a few years ago while coming back from the Black Hills. (It was at Pipestone monument in MN, I believe.)

Glad I wasn't riding behind him.

Jo6pak, that guy is very confused. He is driving a Chevy while folks from Oregon are supposed to be driving Subaru Foresters or Outbacks. He is using a sheet of 1/2 inch ply to hold up his load and folks from Oregon always use a Thule or even 2 of them to haul their gear on top. I see he is parked in a handicap spot without the right plate on the back, but maybe he has a hang tag.
Just to top it all off he has text on the back door that says quitchersquawkin. At least he knows he has everything wrong, which is more than you can say about that overloaded back seat that girl was riding with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts