Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some choose to not insure their bikes during the winter months, but just for days like today I am glad that I keep it insured year round. I would not normally expect to be able to ride in January here in the northwestern part of IL, but today was sunny, it got up to 52 degrees, and the roads were clear and dry. I was out for about a 90 ride and it was only the second time since early November that I was able to get out on my bike. It was a great ride, and even if my insurance is a bit more costly for year round coverage, I am really glad I had it. I would have hated to not being able to ride today, especially since it may well be 10 weeks before I will again have the chance to go out on the bike.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Years ago, I used to insure my bikes for 9 months of the year.
But New Jersey in their infinite wisdom, put an end to that practice quite some time ago. Now you have to insure it for the full year even if you are not riding it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Up here in Alberta we have to insure for a full year on our bikes as well as and snowmobiles or ATVs that you might want to insure. I'm looking at buying a new bike due to an injury it may sit in the garage for some time before I can even ride it. I'm going to call my insurer today to see if there is any insurance that I can put on it to just cover it while it sits, but I don't think that there is. I'm pretty much positive that it is not covered by your house insurance from fire or theft while it is sitting in your garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty much positive that it is not covered by your house insurance from fire or theft while it is sitting in your garage.
Put it up on stands or a lift, a few years back my father and I were restoring an old 1952 Chevy Pickup truck he called his insurance and asked him that exact thing, his point was this truck cannot be be driven as it is but its not a hunk of scrap metal either. Their response was something to the effect of, if the wheels are not on the ground and you can't operate it then it is covered under Home Owners Insurance.

Granted this was in the US so your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
They pro-rate motorcycle insurance here in Ontario Canada, summer obviously being the highest usage/cost. So in winter the monthly premium is so small it's not really worth "cancelling" for a few months..

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
But New Jersey in their infinite wisdom, put an end to that practice quite some time ago. Now you have to insure it for the full year even if you are not riding it.
Same here in Pennsylvania. You must insure for the full year, end of story. I believe if you cancel your insurance you must surrender your license plate. It is very prohibitive to try and save money on vehicle insurance in this damn state.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
A full year of full coverage was exactly $23 dollars more than insuring for only 9 months. So, I just keep mine all year around.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
we have always done the year round coverage, not sure if it is mandatory. I have no complaints on what i pay

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Yup, nuthin more than legalized theft, I am sure this is what Thomas Payne said a few hundred
years ago,"These are the times that try mans soul, when the Insurance people of N.J. in their
infinite lack of understanding everybody is not freaking rich and their infinite want to screw over
as many in as short a time as possible, citizens hear me out, this can and will in time happen to you."

This is not all that far off from the Kingston trio's Charlie and the M.T.A.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
we have always done the year round coverage, not sure if it is mandatory. I have no complaints on what i pay
Hi'ya Paula, As I remember you have a Harley, I have done well with Harley and/or progressive
insurance, a lot better than that half-ass dragon or lizard called geico. I had my truck with the
lizard a long time yet when I got my ME for bikes it was up my 'Where the sun doesn't shine' to
the tune of close to a grand for the least bit of coverage... with fire an theft on the wide glide,
They won't do too much on my 91 Snorty but It is locked in my shed in a fenced in back yard
whose gate is always locked. . .

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
Yeah.. This isn't the insurance company I personally deal with, but they have a good write-up on pro-rating

https://mitchellwhale.com/blog/cancel-motorcycle-insurance-winter/

PS I hate you guys in the States who pay peanuts for bike insurance & still complain, lol
You don't hear me complaining. I feel sorry for y'all but something tells me it all works out in the end. Like I wonder what you get cheap that we pay thru the nose on. Maybe health care? Don't know, just throwing that out as an example of where I'm thinking.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
You don't hear me complaining. I feel sorry for y'all but something tells me it all works out in the end. Like I wonder what you get cheap that we pay thru the nose on. Maybe health care? Don't know, just throwing that out as an example of where I'm thinking.
Property tax seems to be the one I keep seeing in addition to health insurance.

My property tax is $4,200 a year on a house worth $800k on a half acre in one of Canada's largest cities.

I know some states charge obscene yearly license plate renewal fees. My friend in Virginia pays something like $2,000 per year for his Raptor. As it gets older it declines.

I pay $128 for my Mercedes.

No matter where you live there is no "free" ride. Somethings are cheap and some things are expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts