Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yami. 1979 XS11 Yamaha. 1100cc, 95hp at 8500, 66.5 torque at 6500, 568 pounds dry. Quarter 11.7 at 114 mph. Top speed 126mph. 5 gears.

Noddy. 1996 Triumph Trophy 900cc, 98 hp at 9000, 61.2 torque at 6500, 478 pounds dry. Quarter 12.4 at 109 mph. Top speed 132. 6 gears.

Some observations. The XS1100 was the first bike to do the quarter under 12 seconds, hence the XS11. Noddy feels heavier. Noddy should be faster in the 1/4.
Reading motorcycle specs sometimes has interesting numbers. Often I do not believe them, especially top speeds. Noddy has a full fairing that might give it less wind resistance.
But my test track is a steep hill on my Island. It is where I ran the XS400 up a bunch of times to get the main jet size right.

So a couple of weeks ago I aimed Noddy up the hill. Half way up, 5000 revs in fourth gear and turned him WOT. He went flat. Next time, 5500 revs and much better. Noddy pulled quite well.
Today I removed the side car from Yami and went up Island. Half way up the hill, fourth gear, about 4750 revs, WOT, and, Yami tried to pull my arms off. No contest, at mid range revs, the old unit has the most grunt. This is the extra 5 pounds of torque at work. Noddy has a fairly flat torque curve. Yami has a noticeable increase in giddy up at 3500.
Suspension is another matter. Noddy is very steady, Yami likes to feel his way around corners and over bumps. He does not handle well IMO. However he gets the job done.
Same thing at higher speeds. Noddy is steady, Yami is insecure.

I will try the test again with more revs on Noddy. We are still getting acquainted. There are two curves at the bottom of the hill. The first righty is fairly smooth and I go around at about 45. The next left is a bit bumpy and Yami squiggles here. So Noddy is a bit quicker over that corner.
And another note. Compared to the Suzuki, they are both slow.

For slow maneuvering, Yami is better with a lower seat, and lower mass.

UK

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--

And you are telling us because...? :plain:

--
Because it is motorcycle related, and this is a motorcycle forum.
But my posts never go anywhere.
How about. I got this bike from a guy who died, it had been sitting since about 1992. What should I do before I ride it? If I post a pic can you tell me what year and model it is?

The first part of that is true. I even have the original bill of sale, and I have had Laramie the 80 XS1100 running. I need a few brake parts and new tyres and we are off. Waiting for approval for collector plates for Laramie and Noddy.

I rode Noddy today. He is much more steady than the older Yami.

UK

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
UK... I've been reading your posts for years and find them interesting, but sometimes your cryptic style has a tendency to loose the subject matter. Interesting writing is not an easy task and making numbers interesting, and trying to make others give a damn about them, is best left to the scientific journals. About the quarter mile times, you failed to take into account the gearing of the bikes. Lower gearing, higher numerically, are things drag racers play around with constantly and can make a huge difference in the quarter mile time. As a former drag racer it was something I always had a habit of changing, depending on conditions.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I love your posts UK, please don't stop. I immediately calculated the numbers and thought the Triumph should be faster because it weighs 20% less.

BTW where do you get the term "Noddy?" I guess I have a Noddy too :)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Yami. 1979 XS11 Yamaha. 1100cc, 95hp at 8500, 66.5 torque at 6500, 568 pounds dry. Quarter 11.7 at 114 mph. Top speed 126mph. 5 gears.

Noddy. 1996 Triumph Trophy 900cc, 98 hp at 9000, 61.2 torque at 6500, 478 pounds dry. Quarter 12.4 at 109 mph. Top speed 132. 6 gears.

Some observations. The XS1100 was the first bike to do the quarter under 12 seconds, hence the XS11. Noddy feels heavier. Noddy should be faster in the 1/4.
Reading motorcycle specs sometimes has interesting numbers. Often I do not believe them, especially top speeds. Noddy has a full fairing that might give it less wind resistance.
But my test track is a steep hill on my Island. It is where I ran the XS400 up a bunch of times to get the main jet size right.

So a couple of weeks ago I aimed Noddy up the hill. Half way up, 5000 revs in fourth gear and turned him WOT. He went flat. Next time, 5500 revs and much better. Noddy pulled quite well.
Today I removed the side car from Yami and went up Island. Half way up the hill, fourth gear, about 4750 revs, WOT, and, Yami tried to pull my arms off. No contest, at mid range revs, the old unit has the most grunt. This is the extra 5 pounds of torque at work. Noddy has a fairly flat torque curve. Yami has a noticeable increase in giddy up at 3500.
Suspension is another matter. Noddy is very steady, Yami likes to feel his way around corners and over bumps. He does not handle well IMO. However he gets the job done.
Same thing at higher speeds. Noddy is steady, Yami is insecure.

I will try the test again with more revs on Noddy. We are still getting acquainted. There are two curves at the bottom of the hill. The first righty is fairly smooth and I go around at about 45. The next left is a bit bumpy and Yami squiggles here. So Noddy is a bit quicker over that corner.
And another note. Compared to the Suzuki, they are both slow.

For slow maneuvering, Yami is better with a lower seat, and lower mass.

UK
Be tough call for me between the two even though seems the Yami is a bit lacking at things I enjoy .. Reason thing would go with Yamaha just for myself only .. In my area the Yamaha is a stand alone Dealer with Excellent Service and Top Notch Wrenches, where Triumph Dealer is a Hodge Podge Mix along with Indian, Victory's and Harley Trade Ins ..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Noody is a British cartoon character Scott.

Krusty keep writing these post, there are enough of us who enjoy your prose.

Reactions: BWB75

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the comments. I feel so much better now.
Google can find Noddy. Youtube can find Noddie's theme song.
With a British bike, I must spell tyres and colour the correct way. Dry weight could also be called the nett weight. Spell check has found 5 errors so far, but it looks good to me.
Yami had an excellent engine, I even have a low kilometer spare. The newer Yamahas have much better suspension, so handle better. The forks on the early models like Yami, are too thin. A fork brace helps. A guy in CA makes them.
Noddy bikes also have an 1100 engine, that would match the Yami grunt. It is the same engine as the 3 cylinder, with one cylinder added. Triumph made 3 and 4 cylinder engines, with all the same bits, and two different stroke options. The threes are 750 and 900, the fours are 900 and 1100.
The Trophy 1100 does not make much more power than the 900, and weighs a bit more. For me the 900 was the better choice.
The newer 900s make 85 hp with different cams. I would pass on those models.
I go to the bike specification site to get the numbers. I did mention I do find some of them suspect. They are reproduced without comment.
My brain is full of useful or useless, info about bikes. So I can get on a roll. Like did the original H1 Kawasaki really do the 1/4 in under 13 seconds.

UK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts