Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of back ground:
This is the year I start building a cottage, and sheds, all with permits. So I am mostly on the Island working on stuff. With a break to play with the bikes on the weekends.
Bluzu got parked because I do not have time to check the valve clearance. Deep Purple is filling in.
Noddy is still doing the cruising.
I want to move Inder the side car back one inch. So I removed Inder, and decided to take Yami ( 79 XS1100 ) for a long ride, and up a local mountain for a bike event. Going along the freeway, the front wheel was chattering at around 75, got worse at 90, and got a bit better at 100. there was some noise at 90, a bit like a screw driver touching a grinding wheel. Could be something vibrating.
First suspect. The front wheel, is the only one with beads in it. The rest have balance weights. I will take the wheel and tyre back to the shop that put the beads in, and tell them they do not work, and fix it with weights.
One wheel bearing has one tight spot. So I will get two new bearings and seals. Will also have a very close look at the tyre.

Today I got passed by a red CBX when I was doing about 90 to 95. I would have run with him on Bluzu. Curses.
And later in the day, keeping the speed down to about 70, I got passed again. The shame.
Back together, I will run him on the freeway again.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Shame? What shame? I get passed a lot, even when running the speed limit. When someone goes flying by me, I just say "Thank you". If there's a radar trap up ahead, they're not going to give me a second look. :)

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shame? What shame? I get passed a lot, even when running the speed limit. When someone goes flying by me, I just say "Thank you". If there's a radar trap up ahead, they're not going to give me a second look. :)
Figure of speech RG.
I usually run with the traffic, which is often a bit above the limit. If a cage or a bike passes me, I will often follow, while being careful. Nothing can keep up with a good sport bike, and a keen / experienced rider. So it depends what bike I am on.
If on Yami, as I was, then I can not keep pace with a sport bike. Especially with the front end chattering.

Front wheel is off, and the bearings and seals are out. Ordering bits tomorrow.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
I would hate to pass you Krusty on a winding road. For one thing you would have to be day dreaming and once you woke up you would fly past me in such a way that I would have to stop and change my shorts. :)

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
ha ha ha...I think you are right John. It would still be fun to watch him though.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes I encounter a keen rider who will go faster than me around the corners. Corners where I can not see what is around them. So I am usually more cautious. If I can see all of the corner, I will go a bit quicker, but always leave a safety margin.
The way I stay with these faster riders, is to brake harder entering the corner, and getting on the throttle sooner. This way I can match their speed, and still be fairly safe. BUT, I think I am slowing down.

Looking ahead, I see a light weight 400. And this time I talked with Shirley about it, and she agrees. Bluzu will probably be the first to go. Noddy the Triumph will fill in.

Meanwhile the seals are on order and should arrive soon.

I thought my comment on the front wheel chattering, would get some responses. It had beads in it. Could be the wheel is too heavy for the beads to work. The beads are gone, and it is balanced with weights. I banged in two 6303 bearings. Testing as soon as he is back together.

Another meanwhile. Deep Purple the XS400, has decided to rev much too high after being buzzed down the road for a while. No solution so far.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Sometimes I encounter a keen rider who will go faster than me around the corners. Corners where I can not see what is around them. So I am usually more cautious. If I can see all of the corner, I will go a bit quicker, but always leave a safety margin.
The way I stay with these faster riders, is to brake harder entering the corner, and getting on the throttle sooner. This way I can match their speed, and still be fairly safe. BUT, I think I am slowing down.

Looking ahead, I see a light weight 400. And this time I talked with Shirley about it, and she agrees. Bluzu will probably be the first to go. Noddy the Triumph will fill in.

Meanwhile the seals are on order and should arrive soon.

I thought my comment on the front wheel chattering, would get some responses. It had beads in it. Could be the wheel is too heavy for the beads to work. The beads are gone, and it is balanced with weights. I banged in two 6303 bearings. Testing as soon as he is back together.

Another meanwhile. Deep Purple the XS400, has decided to rev much too high after being buzzed down the road for a while. No solution so far.

UK
That's basically how I used to do it with my old tractor(Harley). I could never pass those guys but they could never leave me in the dust either. My poor old Harley worked hard back in the day.:grin::grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still looking for two fork seals for Yami.
Will remove the carbs from Deep Purple, XS400, and study them. First thing to check will be float levels and air leaks.

Meanwhile I am rebuilding the sheds to meet code, so I can get approval for the new cottage when it is built. Permit to start on the cottage is still weeks away.

UK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts