Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Going to do the oil change on my 1996 yamaha virago XV1100, after some research I found the Yamalube oil 10W-40, which is quite difficult to find since every motorcycle dealer has closed due to the corona outbreak, should I wait, or will any full synthetic 10W-40 oil do the job?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had a '99 Virago 1100 for many years. I tried using synthetic oil one time, and the bike ran like absolute CRAP. It idled really poorly and the oil light was on most of the time :(
So I swapped mineral oil back in, and it started behaving normally again.

Personally I used Yamalube most of the time, as it wasn't too hard to find and I assumed it was formulated for motorcycles & smaller engines. I suppose generic mineral oil would be an acceptable choice too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hello!

Going to do the oil change on my 1996 yamaha virago XV1100, after some research I found the Yamalube oil 10W-40, which is quite difficult to find since every motorcycle dealer has closed due to the corona outbreak, should I wait, or will any full synthetic 10W-40 oil do the job?

Thank you!
Many of us use the synthetic Shell Rotella equivalent with great success...

I had a '99 Virago 1100 for many years. I tried using synthetic oil one time, and the bike ran like absolute CRAP. It idled really poorly and the oil light was on most of the time :(

Personally I used Yamalube most of the time, as it wasn't too hard to find and I assumed it was formulated for motorcycles & smaller engines. I suppose generic mineral oil would be an acceptable choice too.
That seems to be a fairly common issue, i.e. running poorly, when trying a synthetic AFTER using mineral based for a long period of time. Most of the mechanics I know say if you've been using regular mineral based, just stick with it...

·
Nightfly
3,870 Posts

Unless you are using a totally inappropriate oil, that makes absolutely no sense.

·
Ace Tuner
2,017 Posts
I'm confused about that too T B... I mean T R. (If you changed you handle to something like Tobacco Bend it would make things a lot easier for me). Just sayin...
Anyway,
I've changed a bunch of riders bikes from conventional oils to M/C spec synthetic and semi-synthetic oils with great results.
Many had the same experience I've had with much better shifting. Some V-Twin riders reported a smoother and higher idle speed after the switch.

S F

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Unless you are using a totally inappropriate oil, that makes absolutely no sense.
I really can't explain it any better either. It was a long time ago, but I think I used Motul 10w40 synthetic oil, which should be the right oil to use. I was looking forward to the bike running smoother & better, but instead it ran rather poorly. I recall the oil light would come on if the bike was left idling while on it's side stand. Oil level was correct.
I was rather upset to have to dump out that expensive oil & replace it with dino oil, so soon after the oil change. But after doing that the bike returned to running as good as it used to.
I think the bike had about 30K on it, all using mineral oil. Yeah I've heard some engines get upset when you swap to synthetic, but I was hoping for the best, sadly didn't get that.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
I think if most folks spent the same amount of time researching chain oil, they would probably change their chain oil.
A good place to start would be fortnine web site. They do product tests.
UK

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I saw video today, guy drained his oil(crotch rocket, a machine he has abused for the fun of it), then filled with honey and it ran fine, idled a little loud, drained the honey not very much came out. He also found that a bike(same bike) will run on pure octane booster............the little bit of gas left got it started and after he stopped it wouldn't start again until he put gas back in it.........he used some kind of cooking oil and had no problems with it.

Yamaha lube 20-50 semi-syn makes a big difference.....does not have diesel rating
Our Yamaha dealer has quit selling motorcycles........now he doesn't stock yamalube semi-syn for motorcycles, last time I had a bike down for a month waiting for oil............so I switched to walmart Castrol 20-50 semi-syn, so far seems ok but I haven't been riding in extreme het yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts