Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! After having a passion for motorcycles for a couple years now, I'm finally looking into getting one of my own. There's not a lot of options to choose from for bikes where I live - not many are sold in my area. Despite that, I found a few (one specifically) that I've had my eye on for a while. It's a 1984 Yamaha Maxim XS400 for a reasonable price with only a few more things it needs work on (mainly carbs), which isn't a problem. However, I don't have much experience on a bike. I've rode as a passenger plenty of times and gained a fair amount of knowledge on how bikes work and such, but the closest thing I've ever ridden was a dirt bike. That leads me to ask, would this be good for a beginner? Another point I should make is that I'm a pretty small gal. I'm approximately 5'2, give or take an inch or so. My main worry is that all the bikes I've been interested in, like this one, will be too big or heavy for me. Is that something I should be concerned about, or should I make the two hour drive to take a look at the bike and sit on it to see how it feels first? Any further advice or recommendations?
Sorry if these are silly questions, just curious and eager to join the community :smile:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Any further advice or recommendations?
Get your license, if you haven't already, then you can decide on a bike. It's not uncommon for people to decide they don't like riding after completing the riders course.

Fit is very important on a motorcycle and the best way to see if it works for you is to go sit on it. There are some bikes with lower seat heights, so you should able to find something.

As always when buying a motorcycle that's 30+ years old, it may be just a bit carb work, but there can be other issues as well. If you have the knack for fixing them, then perhaps it's worth the risk, but otherwise it may spend more time in the garage than the road. Parts for for older bikes can be at times hard to find as well. If you can bring along someone who knows what to look for, that would be most advantageous. Good Luck.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Get your license, if you haven't already, then you can decide on a bike. It's not uncommon for people to decide they don't like riding after completing the riders course.
You might be surprised at the number of people who buy a motorcycle first, then take a class to learn to ride it. From what I have seen it is not a majority, but it is a significant percentage. I have seen some wish they had made a different choice of motorcycle once they actually took the class.

·
Registered
686 Posts
One of the people in my class, who looked like he was in high school, rode his Sportster, to class, though he used the bike provided. That was probably smart since the Harley looked a lot more expensive.

I think the tendency would be to over buy, getting more motorcycle than you should, particularly for those with not much experience. That's why getting your license first via the riders course is a good idea as it'll give you a safe place to assess your skills and hopefully a better understanding of the bike you should get.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,518 Posts
The Maxim is a solid build bike and almost bullet proof as I recall. In most cases just know you will drop your bike several times in your life time either by accident (like in gravel loosing footing) or by someone else instigation. Always ride within your means so you done have the latter. I have had seen people quit riding because they want to ride with groups. If you have been a passenger, means you know people and might ride with them. Be extra vigilant. You will have a false sense of knowing what you are doing way faster than the average beginner. I am not a all the gear all the time type but wear good boot and a good jacket with armor and a DOT helmet, especially while learning. I know many who prefer to be a passenger only on certain type of rides. So just because you will have a bike don't feel like it is taboo to be a passenger.
~Aph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts