Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm new to motorcycles and recently purchased a 2008 vstar. The headlight and turn signals work, but my daytime running lights are not coming on. Would someone be able to help me with steps I should do to see where the issue is?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about the marker lights that also include the turn signals. Is the tail light on (not brake)? Or do you have a set of 'highway lights'? If the latter, they are normally wired into the low beam and only work with it. Also there is a small lever switch on the back of one light to turn them on, usually found on the back of the left light.

Reactions: mike721

·
15,495 Posts
Those should have a small flip switch on the back of the left one. Might be hidden by the faring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Critter, there is no switch on the left or right. There is a switch on the backside of the headlight, but it doesn't change anything when I flip it on with low or high beam. There person I bought the motorcycle from mentioned that there used to be lights that would go on below the bike, but were taken off.

·
15,495 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have start following wires and testing all the connections. Not good news I know.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Time out.....

Didn’t you say in your original post that you just bought this bike? Isn’t it under some sort of warranty? If so, I’d have the place you bought it check it out, before you start digging into the electrical system!

If you’re not under any sort of warranty, start with the fuses. If you don’t know where they are look around you’ll find them. I’m sure you know what they look like, yes?

Your Owners Manual should guide you as to the location and type of the fuses, and it’s pretty obvious when they’re blown.

Next I would look at the lights to see if the bulbs are burned.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
There may be a relay under the tank and just aft of the steering head. On some bikes it is there to turn the lights on just after the bike fires. Some bikes with less amp consuming head lights, do not delay the light turning on. The connections to the relay may be corroded, or the relay may have failed. On my older Yamaha, I located the relay and bypassed it. The bike seems to run better every time I remove a relay that is not needed.
Follow the wyring diagram.

UK

·
15,495 Posts
Do you still have the previous owner's contact info? If so contact him and see if there is a hidden switch somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Critter
I took my motorcycle to a local repair shop and the owner found the hidden switch. It actually looks like a thin threaded bolt and it was on the left side like you mentioned.

·
15,495 Posts
Glad you found it. Things like that drive me crazy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Critter
I took my motorcycle to a local repair shop and the owner found the hidden switch. It actually looks like a thin threaded bolt and it was on the left side like you mentioned.
Hey mts could you post a pic? I have the same set up and can't seem to figure out how to turn those lights on. All other lights work fine. I thought they were just dummy lights or something. Thanks

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Just feel around the small lights. You'll find the little switch on one of them.

Hey mts could you post a pic? I have the same set up and can't seem to figure out how to turn those lights on. All other lights work fine. I thought they were just dummy lights or something. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts