Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 1993 Yamaha Virago 750, and of course, the next day it's giving me troubles.
It's died on me three times while I've been riding; It just turns off. It happens when I've been going over 20 mph and then slowing down, braking or stopping. After that, it's usually pretty hard to get it started again. I actually had to have it towed this morning when I couldn't start it for a few days. Finally it seemingly randomly booted up, but it died again in the parking lot.
After the bike turns off during these episodes, and I'm able to get it started again, idling it for a few seconds usually will kill it. Revving and driving is accompanied by lots of loud backfire.
I've switched to a new battery and that doesn't seem to be helping anything. Is this a relatively easy fix, or do I need to find the guy who sold it to me and "convince" him not to cheat people anymore?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not a mechanic here, but aside from the backfire, those symptoms make me wonder if there's something wrong with your kickstand switch. That bike does have a kickstand switch, right?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It would help if you'd describe in a little more detail what happens when it dies and when you try to start it. Do the lights stay on but the engine dies? Does the starter motor turn the engine over, but it doesn't fire up? Be as specific as you can, and that might help people to narrow down your issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts