Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 03' V-Star 1100 custom. The problem I am having is the bike will start right up and idle fine, but when I turn the throttle the bike dies. When i use the choke it doesn't die i can ride it around with the choke out but no throttle. I have cleaned both carbs and checked the fuel pump all are good. Does anybody have anyother suggestions? Thanks in advance for looking!

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Float level too low, air leak between the carbs and intake, primary jets still clogged, CV diaphragms leaking, any other path for air to exceed the fuel flow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wouldn't reving up the engine with the choke affect how it runs if it was the carb? Because i can have the choke on and it will be idled high and run fine and i turn the choke off and try to use the throttle to get it to ide where it does when the choke is on but as soon as i barely turn the throttle like a 1/4" it will bog down and die.

·
I fear no beer
463 Posts
Are you letting it warm up?I have an 08' v-star I bought new,It's hated starting in the cold from the very begining.It has over 23k now and it still hates starting in the cold and I give it a few minutes to warm up before rolling back on the throttle.If I dont let it warm up it will die as soon as I try to take off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I let it run for about 15-20 mins still does it i think it might be something electrical :( cold here is like 70 degrees hehe(south east texas).

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
wouldn't reving up the engine with the choke affect how it runs if it was the carb? Because i can have the choke on and it will be idled high and run fine and i turn the choke off and try to use the throttle to get it to ide where it does when the choke is on but as soon as i barely turn the throttle like a 1/4" it will bog down and die.
Is it a real choke, a plate over the intake that closes, or an enrichment valve? It's probably the latter, which will give you a richer mixture from idle to a slight distance into the throttle, but stop contributing much after about 1/4 throttle is reached.
You're describing a lean condition in the transition from idle to open throttle. During that transition, the fuel source moves from the pilot circuit to the needle jet (main) circuit. If the fuel level is too low, you'll starve for fuel in that region. Air leaks could still be a problem, as the vacuum starts to rise.

Does it run well at higher throttle positions? If it does, it probably isn't spark, unless the vibration levels at part throttle cause power connections, like the battery terminals, to shake enough to open intermittently. Couldn't hurt to check the battery and kill switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what kind of choke it is, If i leave the choke on some times it will back fire but not often. I cannot turn the throttle at all cause it will die the only way to increase idle is with the choke. I will check the battery and fill it up tomorrow. Think you for your help so far WintrSol & rustydog

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
With the choke on, you can't rev the engine? You said you cleaned the carburetors, but you may still want to put some SeaFoam in the tank to clean out any residue you missed.

Or, it could be weak spark or bad plugs. When you open the throttle, you get more pressure in the cylinders, which can literally blow the spark out. Cracked or leaking spark plugs or spark wires can cause this. A common area is the boots get wet, or the spike on the end of the boot isn't far enough into the wire end for a good contact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jets gunked up

So I just had the same problem with my 2000 V Star 1100 Custom. The guy I bought it from had just paid the dealer in Anchorage, Alaska $500 for a full service and tune up, yet it started this dying problem. I replaced the fuel filter (which looked like it had been installed during WWII) and then ran it on full choke, trying to adjust the idle. Suddenly, the bike started running much smoother and so I put it to no choke, adjusted the idle a little bit, then rode it to O'Reilly Auto Parts and got some Sea Foam and put some in it. So far it is running much better. Hope that helps.
Also, if the carb needs re-jetted, it needs re-jetted. Adjusting the throttle with the screw adjust will only help a very little bit and, if not addressed fully, will do more harm than good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts