Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1981 Yamaha Exciter. Fun little bike. But now it will idle fine but when you give it gas it bogs out. I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yamaha sr 250 carb

I got a 1981 Yamaha Exciter. Fun little bike. But now it will idle fine but when you give it gas it bogs out. I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:
OK, got it to where I can ride it. Had a clogged air cleaner but when I riding it if I give it to much gas it bog out.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
OK, then not a bad spark plug, but probably a fuel mixture problem. Check for leaks, cracks at the boot that connects the carb to the engine. Also, have you checked the fuel level in the carb? Opened the drain to let out any water stuck in the bottom? Treated the gas with a good fuel system cleaner?

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
That's a possibility, but shouldn't affect the mixture that much that it would bog down.

Also, check the voltage on your battery - key off, key on not running, at idle, and revved up some.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Voltage is good. Just replaced the entire charging system. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel problem but it has me stumped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out that a jet had fallen out and was laying in the bottom of the bowl. I surprised that the bike ran at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Runs good after it warms up. But it's still having carb issues and I need to rebuild it, but the only rebuild kit I can find for that carb is in Germany.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts