Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 Yamaha R6 with 27,000 miles.
Changed my oil (only 2 quarts. I messed up), road it twice (less than 5 miles each time) until I realized it needs more oil. Road it two more times after that without issue. I used STP 10W-40. (Manual says this should be good)

Just lubed my clutch with WD-40 last night and that solved my stiff clutch.
Tonight it backfires for the first time since I bought it.
It is suddenly MUCH slower to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear now.
If it hits 4k+ RPM in 2nd gear, it backfires and does not accelerate much. If it hits 5k+ RPM in 3rd gear, same thing. No issues after 4th gear.

What is going on? Solution?
Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

Update: I put seafoam in the gas tank, let it run for 5 minutes and I could hear the engine occasionally make odd noises like the carburetor was cleaned (or whatever else was causing the issue. IMMEDIATELY, was able to rev up to 5k rpm in first gear without a problem.

Drove it 5 miles to Costco for Premium gas. It did jump the accelerate a bit in 1st gear (similar to above), but no other issues. Barely noticed the problem on the ride back, so I assume it will be solved soon, or I'll just add more seafoam once tank is lower.

Appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not too sure on the acceleration issue, maybe check spark plugs and air filter but I doubt it is related to the low oil.

I will say that WD-40 is not a lube... or not a very good one. It is meant to displace water/gunk and is, at best, a very light oil that will not keep anything lubed for long. You want to use a good silicone spray or, better yet, a dedicated lube to keep your cables happy.

·
American Legion Rider
20,029 Posts
Just lubed my clutch with WD-40 last night and that solved my stiff clutch.
I will say that WD-40 is not a lube... or not a very good one.
What Doc says is true. You are on the right path but just using the wrong product. It will be worth your time and effort to get a good cable lubricant. Silicone lubricants general don't attract dust so I'd tend to lean in that direction. You are lubing wires inside a plastic tube so silicone does that job better than oils.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too sure on the acceleration issue, maybe check spark plugs and air filter but I doubt it is related to the low oil.

I will say that WD-40 is not a lube... or not a very good one. It is meant to displace water/gunk and is, at best, a very light oil that will not keep anything lubed for long. You want to use a good silicone spray or, better yet, a dedicated lube to keep your cables happy.
Thanks. You are the 3rd person to tell me that (I posted this or reddit as well) and I'll make sure to use proper cable lube!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What Doc says is true. You are on the right path but just using the wrong product. It will be worth your time and effort to get a good cable lubricant. Silicone lubricants general don't attract dust so I'd tend to lean in that direction. You are lubing wires inside a plastic tube so silicone does that job better than oils.
Thank you. Person #4 to tell me that WD-40 is not the right thing to use for a cable. xD
I'll get proper cable lube.

·
Registered
736 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts