Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded one of my project bikes for this Yamaha. Wife say it’s a yds 70. I’m trying to find out exactly what model, so
that I can look for s parts source before u start taking it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
In error, I posted this in the 'What did you do with your bike today' area but here is the text and picture:

Sam:smile_big:

I don't believe that it is a Yamaha, unless the engine case, frame or VIN says so.

Yamaha was strictly into 2 stroke engines until the time that they made the 650cc twin, 4 stroke, Triumph knockoff. My best friend had one in 1974.

Here's some good info for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ecial:Search

The bike sort of looks like a middle 60's-early 70;s GILERA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilera

SAM

Attachments

Reactions: ELM

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
Where did you find that? How would one go about finding something like that?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Crusty old bikes can be found by the dozens in the basements, garages and barns of crusty old men. A friend of mine has at least a dozen, 80's and earlier, including one of those cute little Italian Harleys, all of them turning slowly to rust and aluminum oxide. Getting these folks to part with their treasures is another thing entirely. Going to vintage motorcycle events and swaps, and talking to people, showing interest and making friends is the slow but sure process that can open the door to ownership opportunities. The joke is that you make friends with the guy, then with his wife, and then you get his collection, ..... eventually.

Of course "barn finds" occasionally show up on Ebay, Craigslist, Offerup, Letgo, sometimes even at good prices. To compete in that arena, be prepared to look at each resource several times a day, and be ready to respond immediately. The best deals often last only a matter of hours. It only takes one buyer to sell out.

Gotta be careful with the pressed steel frame bikes like the one in that picture. More vulnerable to internal corrosion than a machine with a heavy wall tubular frame.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you find that? How would one go about finding something like that?

On the local Facebook market. Guy was selling it fir $350. I reached out and offered one of my projects.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In error, I posted this in the 'What did you do with your bike today' area but here is the text and picture:

Sam:smile_big:

I don't believe that it is a Yamaha, unless the engine case, frame or VIN says so.

Yamaha was strictly into 2 stroke engines until the time that they made the 650cc twin, 4 stroke, Triumph knockoff. My best friend had one in 1974.

Here's some good info for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ecial:Search

The bike sort of looks like a middle 60's-early 70;s GILERA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilera

SAM

The engine case does have something engraved on it, in cursive. Looks like starts with a g and has a 75 at the end.

·
Registered
775 Posts
All the Gileras I have seen have tubular frames, but the engine does look a lot like the engine on the 106 Gilera I have in my crusty basement. These were sold as Sears Allstates, back in the 60s.

Pictures I've seen of the early Yamahas also have tubular welded frames.

Your bike looks to have a pressed steel frame, such as Honda used on some of their early models. Can you confirm this? Maybe post some better or close up pictures of any badges or numbers you find. What's that feature on the right side tin?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the Gileras I have seen have tubular frames, but the engine does look a lot like the engine on the 106 Gilera I have in my crusty basement. These were sold as Sears Allstates, back in the 60s.

Pictures I've seen of the early Yamahas also have tubular welded frames.

Your bike looks to have a pressed steel frame, such as Honda used on some of their early models. Can you confirm this? Maybe post some better or close up pictures of any badges or numbers you find. What's that feature on the right side tin?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found this on eBay. Looks just like mine, capriolo 75 cc

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Found it. Lol, the Yamaha tank, and Aprilia horn, I wonder if they just put it together out of leftover parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts