Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just bought a bone stock '92 FZR 1000 from a collector that is damn near like new w/8k miles. All his bikes are kept inside various rooms of his house and he kept this one in his living room. It has all new fluids, but the tank, lines and carbs were all cleaned/drained after his last ride prior to storing it inside for the past year. I bought a new battery. Bike was shipped and arrived today, so I'll go out and tinker with it when I get some time this weekend. I have the factory shop service manual and will look at it, but figured I'd ask some questions here.

Is there a particular procedure I should follow in my attempt to get it back to running by adding fuel, etc.

As far at the fuel goes, will the carbs needs anything done to them before firing this thing? Just add fuel to the tank and crank (but not fire the motor); prime it so to speak?

Look for leaks? No leaks, fire it up and keep a close eye on things? Or should I just fill the tank, crank, let it gravity feed and then try to start it in a day or so? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
You should check inside the fuel tank for rust. If you find any rust you gotta do something about that before you fuel the bike.
You don't want to let ANY rust make its way into the carburetors.
I cant remember if that model has a fuel filter. If it does it might be a good idea to replace it before fueling the bike.

I'd recommend changing the oil and filter before you even press the start button. It might sound crazy but I'd change the oil and filter again after about 50~70 miles of running.
The idea is to remove any water (condensation) that has probably formed in the upper crankcase areas while in storage.

As a preventative measure you might want to change/flush the brake and clutch fluids too.
Also, air the tires. :smile_big:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should check inside the fuel tank for rust. If you find any rust you gotta do something about that before you fuel the bike.
You don't want to let ANY rust make its way into the carburetors.
I cant remember if that model has a fuel filter. If it does it might be a good idea to replace it before fueling the bike.

I'd recommend changing the oil and filter before you even press the start button. It might sound crazy but I'd change the oil and filter again after about 50~70 miles of running.
The idea is to remove any water (condensation) that has probably formed in the upper crankcase areas while in storage.

As a preventative measure you might want to change/flush the brake and clutch fluids too.
Also, air the tires. :smile_big:
Thank you. Yes, I plan to look around inside the tank with a bright LED light to ensure no rust resides in there.

Like I said initially, all the fluids have been changed and fresh. And when I fire it, and ride it for a certain mileage range I'll change the oil/filter. Not sure about a fuel filter or not. I haven't touched the bike since its arrival yesterday. Will get in the shop manual and tinker this weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Another thing you might want to check if u didn't already is how old the tires (dates on the tires) are if they didn't ride it a lot. If they are very old replace them even if they look good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing you might want to check if u didn't already is how old the tires (dates on the tires) are if they didn't ride it a lot. If they are very old replace them even if they look good.
Yep, already in the plans. They look good, but they are old(er). Once it get it fired and all is good, then I'll order new grip! Thanks.

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Thank you. Yes, I plan to look around inside the tank with a bright LED light to ensure no rust resides in there.

Like I said initially, all the fluids have been changed and fresh. And when I fire it, and ride it for a certain mileage range I'll change the oil/filter. Not sure about a fuel filter or not. I haven't touched the bike since its arrival yesterday. Will get in the shop manual and tinker this weekend. Thanks.
Oh, I misunderstood. I was thinking the fluids were fresh when the bike went into storage. :eek:

Back to the fuel system:
Oxidation can occur on/in the fuel bowls of carburetors that have been stored dry. Also, some droplets of fuel were probably left in the carburetors and fuel system when put away.
It might be a good idea to fuel the carbs then drain them before starting the bike in hopes to 'wash out' any leftovers and such.

The above (along with what cc rider said) is about all I can think of to do.

That's a real nice ride. Hope it all works out well for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I misunderstood. I was thinking the fluids were fresh when the bike went into storage. :eek:

Back to the fuel system:
Oxidation can occur on/in the fuel bowls of carburetors that have been stored dry. Also, some droplets of fuel were probably left in the carburetors and fuel system when put away.
It might be a good idea to fuel the carbs then drain them before starting the bike in hopes to 'wash out' any leftovers and such.

The above (along with what cc rider said) is about all I can think of to do.

That's a real nice ride. Hope it all works out well for you.
Thank you. I'm hoping it all works out and I don't have to spend a ton of time or extra loot to get it going. Sounds as though it was put to bed correctly, etc. I cannot believe the condition the bike is in - it literally looks brand new. I also have the original seat/cowl, but he shipped it with the Corbin seat. I bet that Corbin seat is rare and probably can't even get one today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts