Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I've bought a Yamaha drag star 125 (my first bike!) about a month ago, and have recently have started to get issues with it. And as I don't trust myself yet to do any diagnostics myself I want to get your opinions!

So the issues are: When I start the bike in neutral and switch to 1st the bike jumps forward a little bit. Also, recently it has started to for some reason every now and again accelerate very slowly when I've just changed gear (up or down) even with the engine being warm. Then it increases in speed over time. This only happens sometimes though.

Also I have had several times when the gear changes by itself and it is very difficult to engage neutral with half a click up, and only works if I click down.

Also, when I do change gear up , the revs do not go down instantly, and maybe take a second. (again, only happens sometimes)

Would be great if you could enlighten me and help me solve these issues!

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
The jumping when going into first may mean your clutch isn't fully disengaged. You may be able to tweak that out with a simple cable adjustment. Or the oil in the gearbox isn't doing its job (or isn't there) and the gears that should be freewheeling have more friction on the shafts than they should. Since you have other shifting issues, I'd definitely change your gearbox oil, and make sure it's the right kind. The issue with only getting into neutral from second could just be the nature of the bike, some of mine are easier from first, some from second. It could also be related to insufficient gearbox lubrication.

·
Visionary
2,944 Posts
Ditto, adjust the clutch and change the oil and see if all these related symptoms get better in a hundred miles. Since your new, do you have an experienced friend who can help test it out and see what they think and maybe help with the work too?

The jump into 1st gear ( especially if it's cold) may be normal, some bikes just do that, my Vstar 650 was one of them, no matter how it was adjusted it jumps a bit. Didn't hurt anything over 20,000 miles though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts