Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my XT250 and even decided to partially finance my Harley and deal with a payment so I could keep it -- but MAN how cool would it be if Yamaha would make an XT400 to compete with the DRZ400?! A fuel injected slightly bigger brother to the XT250 with supermoto option; a little lower seat height than the Suzuki (even us taller guys don't always want to be up in the sky) - lightweight and economic canyon carver, commuter/errand runner and occasional trail rider.

Yamaha you make it - I'll buy it!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It seems like Yamaha is missing quite a few motorcycles in the dual sport category. They jump from 250cc to 1200cc with nothing in the middle.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I love Yamaha & Star bikes, but the company never ceases to confuse me in how they decide WHICH bike gets sold in what market.. just like you point out.

Look at this really sweet XT660 being sold in Europe! Wouldn't you think it would sell like hotcakes in North America? It's already an established product.. how much trouble would it be to bring here? I assume emmisions compliance might be the biggest obstacle..

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/fr/produits/moto/trail-supermotard/xt660z-tenere-abs.aspx

·
American Legion Rider
20,039 Posts
But the under the table fees are much higher here Dods.:D

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'm really not sure what's involved with importing these. Honda and Kawasaki seem to have done well with their 650 dual sports. I think that size is pretty much the sweet spot between off road capability and general street use.

·
Registered
886 Posts
What happened, wasn't Yamaha the first Japanese company to start the big thumper? Six years ago when I bought a Husqvarna SM610 I would have given a Yamaha a good look if they had one that big.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd rather see a factory street legal WR450F. I'd gladly buy one without thinking twice so long as the price was still sub $4k. That would make one bad ass dual sport/SM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ya and I think it wouldn't take much because I think they are street legal in other countries? Only thing is that 38" seat height is really up in the sky. That would be 36 in SM config, probably if I could get it down to 34 then it would work and I'd buy it.

I'd rather see a factory street legal WR450F. I'd gladly buy one without thinking twice so long as the price was still sub $4k. That would make one bad ass dual sport/SM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts