Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to bikes and looking for some help. I have an 82 Yamaha XJ550 Seca.

So, yesterday I was taking my bike to the store, died after riding out 3 miles while stopped at a stop light. Tried to hit the starter, bike didn't make a sound. Pulled it off, let it sit for about an hour as I finished the walk to the store and came back. Still wouldn't start. Tried to push start it, got nothing.

While walking it home I coasted it down a steep hill, got it up to about 30 mph and let the clutch out into 2nd gear hoping to get it started, but it didn't.

Got my battery checked by the local guys, they said it was still good. Hooked it up to my tender, got it fully charged, hooked it back up, still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check the fuses. They may not be all in the same place...

The bike has a battery-ignition circuit, not an independent magneto system like a motocrosser....so it needs at least the "main" electrical system to be healthy enuff to function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I popped out all the fuses and checked them with a multimeter (They looked good, but its good to be sure) and they were fine. I put them back in and the bike started up.

The fuses were in them all properly and I had visually checked them prior to this. Is it possible its a wiring issue?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe, but more likely a little corrosion at a fuse position...BTW when I get an old bike I replace ALL the fuses as a matter of course.

Works for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a really good idea. I'll go buy some more fuses and scrub the fuse box down.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts