Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a stock shock spanner wrench for a 2007 XL883c HD Sportster. This is the OEM wrench that adjusts the shocks.

These wrenches new are $13.00 new at my dealer or eBay, so name your price shipped to zip 12010
part # 94820-75a

Ebay reference--------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOOK-SPANNE...ash=item54227aa70f:g:vsgAAOSwLVZVv2m-&vxp=mtr

Non-active members or members with low post counts, please don't bother contacting me..... :71baldboy:

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm confused. 13 clams is too steep for you?

Do you know how much these extra chrome parts I have been buying are costing me ?????:coffeescreen:

I was hoping a fellow HD rider like you that has 10 of these wrenches in his tool box would say.............. give me address and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. :biggrin:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
$479.99, shipped.

But that's not all! Order now and I'll include a Craftsman 9/16 combination wrench at no extra charge.

But wait that's not all order in the next 24 hours and I'll include a Husky half-inch socket set as well! But wait there's more!

Still not convinced? Order within the next half hour and I'll include a second HD shock wrench at no extra charge with only a small fee for shipping and handling and a 12mm flange wrench.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I have one, and it would cost me about 13 smackaroos to replace it, so no, I can't help you. Good Lord, man, it's probably the cheapest tool you can buy. For any bike, much less a Harley.

On the other hand, Wade's got an offer that could be the way for you to go. Get him to switch that 12mm to a 10mm 12 point for the caliper pins and you're in business.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Wrenched

Those small wrenches are not the greatest tool anyway. They can slip, because to turn the adjuster may require too much leverage.
A large pair of tweezers ( channel locks ) work fine. Wrap a rag around if you are concerned about the tooth marks.

You could get a scrap piece of 1/4" aluminium plate, and make your own. A hack saw, a file and about 35 minutes should do it. I use the tweezers.

Just thinking: A pipe wrench should also work.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Good suggestions, Krusty.

But, he hasn't even ridden it through a couple of oil changes and already he's buying sparkly stuff, so I'm guessing he'd be a bit aghast over the thought of a few scratches on his shock housings.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
If he throws some leather saddlebags on it he'll never see the shocks anyway. Turned my BMW spanner worked when I needed one so don't limit yourself to Harley unless now you are a Harley snob. Oh wait, yeah you are now. That's what happens to most.:coffeescreen:

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Putting channel locks on the shocks is definitely out of the question. :biggrin:

It just surprising that a tool kit that includes a spanner wrench doesn't come with a new Harley ????? If you sell a bike that has adjustable shocks, a spanner wrench should be included.......I called the guy I bought it from (1 owner) and he said he never seen a toolkit for it.

Is it hidden somewhere on the bike that I'm not seeing ?????

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Putting channel locks on the shocks is definitely out of the question. :biggrin:

It just surprising that a tool kit that includes a spanner wrench doesn't come with a new Harley ????? If you sell a bike that has adjustable shocks, a spanner wrench should be included.......I called the guy I bought it from (1 owner) and he said he never seen a toolkit for it.

Is it hidden somewhere on the bike that I'm not seeing ?????
No ... $13.00 is a pretty good deal I would go for it if needed ..

Or Could get a Great Set of Progressive Shocks and they will supply you with a Free Wrench .. Did this on almost everyone of my Sportsters .. :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Motorcycles only need to carry tools if they're prone to breaking down a lot. This is a Harley. It doesn't need a tool kit.:71baldboy:

Go buy the 13 dollar tool and quit being such a cheapskate. You'll be glad to have it if you're one of those fellows that has to constantly adjust his shocks to get the ride "just perfect" for every occasion. On the other hand, if you're not gay, you can just adjust it once, forget about it, and go ride.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Motorcycles only need to carry tools if they're prone to breaking down a lot. This is a Harley. It doesn't need a tool kit.:71baldboy:

Go buy the 13 dollar tool and quit being such a cheapskate. You'll be glad to have it if you're one of those fellows that has to constantly adjust his shocks to get the ride "just perfect" for every occasion. On the other hand, if you're not gay, you can just adjust it once, forget about it, and go ride.

I just purchased a Kureakyn plug n play backrest for Mama once I get used to the new ride. I was only able to put limited miles on the bike before the snow came. :frown:

I'm going to need to adjust them occasionally from solo to 2up until I'm able to get the progressive shocks. From what I hear, these Oem's shocks for 2up riding are not that great.

I guess I will go buy the dam wrench then. I see this WTB ad isn't generating any ways of saving a few bucks...... geeez !!!!!!!!! I also use coupons in the grocery store. :icon_cool:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts

To offset the cost of the spanner, he can sell his training wheels after he gets used to riding on 2 wheels.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Be a man, you ride a Harley now. Grab them with your meaty hands and wrestle them in to position. Don't be such a wimp!

Then get a rag and your polish out. Don't want sweaty paw prints on that garage queen.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I just purchased a Kureakyn plug n play backrest for Mama once I get used to the new ride. I was only able to put limited miles on the bike before the snow came. :frown:

I'm going to need to adjust them occasionally from solo to 2up until I'm able to get the progressive shocks. From what I hear, these Oem's shocks for 2up riding are not that great.

I guess I will go buy the dam wrench then. I see this WTB ad isn't generating any ways of saving a few bucks...... geeez !!!!!!!!! I also use coupons in the grocery store. :icon_cool:

Ebay can be your Friend when comes time for Progressive Shocks for your Sporty Especially older models like yours .. Can Find them Brand New in the Box for at least 1/3 off MSRP ..

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm no longer in the market for a Shock Spanner Wrench. I broke down and spent the $13.00 for it.

Eye would be proud, but I will continue to use coupons at the grocery store !!!! :icon_cool:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You're making progress, I'll give you that. :71baldboy:

But I would have actually been proud if you had taken an old pair of Channel Locks you got at a garage sale for 50 cents and used an old bench grinder to grind the jaws in to a shape that left a tooth on each side to engage the adjusting collar while overall having a shape that would grasp the shock body safely, (if cushioned with a couple pieces of old leather belt.)

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
You're making progress, I'll give you that. :71baldboy:

But I would have actually been proud if you had taken an old pair of Channel Locks you got at a garage sale for 50 cents and used an old bench grinder to grind the jaws in to a shape that left a tooth on each side to engage the adjusting collar while overall having a shape that would grasp the shock body safely, (if cushioned with a couple pieces of old leather belt.)
I think if he could do that he could just make his own spanner out of some flat stock and been done with it. It's not that hard. Just a hook.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts