Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been riding for about five months, I put 5000 miles on my bike. I did the MSF course and I got my MC license. So I was out visiting my cousin in north Memphis area...I took a right and found myself coming up to a weird intersection, I saw a red light and a half a minute later is when I realized that what I was actually looking at was a set of red lights, literally they were maybe 20-40 feet apart. I decided then that I hadn’t slowed down enough to stop safely at the first set and I quickly scanned the intersection and saw no oncoming traffic and decided to just run the first set and stop at the second set of lights being that I was scared to lose traction if I stopped suddenly at the first set and slide out into the intersection. This was a really dumb decision on my part looking back, I should have just dropped my pride and possibly took a gentle low slide and took the blow to my pride. Well instead I put a little (not much) into the throttle and as soon as I pulled out into the intersection a brown pick up came through the intersection a weird turn where visibility looks good but is actually very poor and it was just turning night time anyways, I collided with the passenger side door doing maybe 35-50, I can’t tell if he was turning into the lane I was going in or if he was going straight and I just reacted so quickly that I made an insanely sharp curve to try to avoid him. Either way, I remember hitting his truck at an angle, a loud slamming noise and I think I flew over the hood at this point. I remained totally conscious. I remember thinking, oh, [email protected]&%%, I was just in a wreck, this isn’t too bad, I hope my bike is okay and then I thought, I haven’t hit the ground yet and so I did a sort of tuck and roll but remained relaxed. My leg (femur) broke as soon as I hit the ground. I remember seeing the car lights and street lights turn into one big circle as I rolled through a parking lot. I think I flipped myself over and tried to get up before I realized my leg was broken and laid back down. A couple ran over to me and said they called an ambulance and told me not to move, an ex cop grabbed my hand and told me I’d be okay, he started to ask me a bunch of questions which I was able to answer. I told him that I was fine but that my leg was definitely broke which they confirmed as they cut away my clothes. Unfortunately against all better judgement I chose to not wear my jacket or Kevlar pants that day even though something told me to. It was a blazing hot day so I chose not to. I wasn’t riding overly “spirited” or reckless but I was having fun. This wreck happened two weeks ago on Sunday night, I’m just now feeling strong again, I still cannot walk, my left leg is bent and stiff. I spend most of my time in a bed. I’m not going to quit riding but it will be a while before I can get back into it because of the healing process combined with financial status and my bike being totalled. A girl who I was talking to spent the night in the hospital with me and half the day before she had to go back to school and her work. So good things have come out of it, to see that she cared. I’ve had a lot of support and I can’t wait to get back at it. I just want share this story and remind everyone to be a little bit safer and more cautious. Things can happen quicker than we can predict and the roads are not always probikers. In fact some roads seem meant to kill us. I mentioned this road to several people and most people avoid it especially bikers. I’ve had a lot of great support though! Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thank you for sharing this experience. So sorry you are suffering. That broken leg sounds like it hurt! So glad you are on the road to recovery and discovered some people around you that really care.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
So sorry to hear about your crash and injuries. Where I live we have intersections just like that with a series of two lights only about 40 feet apart and accidents there are very common. Really poor design if you ask me and definitely not a good place to be if you're a motorcyclist. Hope you make a full recovery real soon!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Everything has a different perspective when riding a bike. What may seem normal in a cage, is totally different on a bike. It sounds like a rather confusing intersection, even for cars. Glad you made it thru with only a broken leg. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. It sounds like you were aware of the situation, only reacted just a little too late. Without being there, I'd say you were correct by thinking of locking up the rear brake and skidding to a stop. Every situation is different.

Two things to remember: 1. If you make it thru the first year without getting in a wreck, falling down, or killing yourself, your lucky. 2. There are two kinds of bikers. Those that have fallen down, and those that are going to fall down.

You're still a novice. Although painful, write it off as a lesson learned, and move on. The MSF course is nothing but 'elementary school.' Your real education starts when you get on the street. Heal up Amigo, and get back out there. The rewards of biking, far outweigh having an accident.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Some lessons are more painful than monetarily costly. Still, provided you live, they are lessons.:thumbsup:

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Ouch. Sorry you got hurt, but glad it's not worse! Hope you heal up well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.