Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, not a question or anything, just telling my story:
Restarting casual riding after 10ish year pause, before that put a few thousand miles on Suzuki 500f riding on weekends and to work for few years without any issue, only gently laid is on the side while duck walking last couple feet into parking spot, pressed on front brake while front wheel was turned a bit, oncourse bike started to fall on the side, I tried to hold on to the bars but past some certain tilt angle all I could do is just slowly lay it down leaving small 5mm-ish scuff on aluminum cover. Other than that, I suppose during learning process I did few mistakes here and there but never was I close to real trouble. Started from complete zero knowledge, first time ever touched motorcycle was at MSF course.
So now that I am trying to get back to riding on weekends, or occasional work commute, etc, I got 1100 rebel DCT and I gotta tell you, yes, DCT is amazing technology, does shifting for you and all that, but to me personally (at least at this stage of relearning) it is the opposite of helper. It is so unforgiving of any accidental whiskey throttle so that in my case it added unnecessary anxiety and fear of doing something wrong with the throttle while stopped in D mode. I seriously wish there was extra layer of safety by clutch-like lever on the left side, some sort of "mute" switch for throttle by wire signal. Yes, I fully admit and accept and understand that its all about practice and experience but seriously, there are so many scenarios I can think of and actually encountered some in my humble riding experience where you can add accidental throttle input, for example, panic-grab a brake lever with incorrectly placed hand on throttle handle, bike tipping to the side too much and you grab handlebar harder to keep it upright, rase butt off the seat at the light to adjust seating position accidentally losing awareness of what right hand is doing, etc. Instead of focusing on building overall riding skills so far for me its all about accidental throttle avoidance.
Again, not complaining, but just saying that dct is a great power and it clearly comes with great responsibility. I may downgrade to good old clutch and manual for my next bike.

· Swamp Rat Rider
1,734 Posts
Hi All, not a question or anything, just telling my story:
Restarting casual riding after 10ish year pause, before that put a few thousand miles on Suzuki 500f riding on weekends and to work for few years without any issue, only gently laid is on the side while duck walking last couple feet into parking spot, pressed on front brake while front wheel was turned a bit, oncourse bike started to fall on the side, I tried to hold on to the bars but past some certain tilt angle all I could do is just slowly lay it down leaving small 5mm-ish scuff on aluminum cover. Other than that, I suppose during learning process I did few mistakes here and there but never was I close to real trouble. Started from complete zero knowledge, first time ever touched motorcycle was at MSF course.
So now that I am trying to get back to riding on weekends, or occasional work commute, etc, I got 1100 rebel DCT and I gotta tell you, yes, DCT is amazing technology, does shifting for you and all that, but to me personally (at least at this stage of relearning) it is the opposite of helper. It is so unforgiving of any accidental whiskey throttle so that in my case it added unnecessary anxiety and fear of doing something wrong with the throttle while stopped in D mode. I seriously wish there was extra layer of safety by clutch-like lever on the left side, some sort of "mute" switch for throttle by wire signal. Yes, I fully admit and accept and understand that its all about practice and experience but seriously, there are so many scenarios I can think of and actually encountered some in my humble riding experience where you can add accidental throttle input, for example, panic-grab a brake lever with incorrectly placed hand on throttle handle, bike tipping to the side too much and you grab handlebar harder to keep it upright, rase butt off the seat at the light to adjust seating position accidentally losing awareness of what right hand is doing, etc. Instead of focusing on building overall riding skills so far for me its all about accidental throttle avoidance.
Again, not complaining, but just saying that dct is a great power and it clearly comes with great responsibility. I may downgrade to good old clutch and manual for my next bike.
Love my Rebel DCT 1100 but definitely have to take a few precautions with the things you are referring to.. Have 9,000 Miles on mine now and did have a couple of flukes with it but nothing serious .. Would say the most important thing here is when parking it pop it into neutral, as well as being fully aware of when it's in gear .. The Display fully shows what gear you are in as well as the old familiar Green Neutral Light .. Seriously doubt will ever let this one Go ..

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

· Swamp Rat Rider
1,734 Posts
Figured would post this here .. Mods are Done for me at least for a while on my Honda 1100 DCT .. Don't see many posts about one so figured this area is as good as any .. Mustang Solo Seat which was right for me if a 2 up Rider The Corbin Option would for most be a better choice .. Michelin Commander III Tires Front and Rear .. Two Brothers Exhaust, partly because of much better sound without being too loud but Mostly for better access to the Swing Arm and Axle and utilizes the Existing Muffler Bracket ..

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive mirror
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motorcycle

· Registered
105 Posts
My wife has a Rebel 1100 DCT I ride around on in town sometimes, but it is a bit small for me to do longer rides comfortably. For anyone who isnt familiar the Rebel 1100 DCT shifts flawlessly, its like a perfect clutchless shift every time, but the real surprise if you are not expecting it is off the line, which is where the whiskey throttle gets you. Its not like it is incredibly fast, but as SOON as you twist that throttle you are going, it really catches you off guard the first few times.

The above advice about popping it into neutral is solid, even at things like lights, or especially backing it into a parking spot, etc.

The one other piece of advice I would suggest is make sure your brake handle is not clocked too high for you, aim for the lower side of comfortable. Sit comfortably on the bike while it is running in neutral and listen to it while you practice grabbing the brake handle. You may not even realize you are doing it, but if the brake handle is clocked a little to high you will have a tendency to roll your wrist backwards to reach upwards for the brake, and while rolling your wrist back to grab the brake the throttle may come with it.

· Swamp Rat Rider
1,734 Posts
My wife has a Rebel 1100 DCT I ride around on in town sometimes, but it is a bit small for me to do longer rides comfortably. For anyone who isnt familiar the Rebel 1100 DCT shifts flawlessly, its like a perfect clutchless shift every time, but the real surprise if you are not expecting it is off the line, which is where the whiskey throttle gets you. Its not like it is incredibly fast, but as SOON as you twist that throttle you are going, it really catches you off guard the first few times.

The above advice about popping it into neutral is solid, even at things like lights, or especially backing it into a parking spot, etc.

The one other piece of advice I would suggest is make sure your brake handle is not clocked too high for you, aim for the lower side of comfortable. Sit comfortably on the bike while it is running in neutral and listen to it while you practice grabbing the brake handle. You may not even realize you are doing it, but if the brake handle is clocked a little to high you will have a tendency to roll your wrist backwards to reach upwards for the brake, and while rolling your wrist back to grab the brake the throttle may come with it.
Sounds like definitely have some experience on one .. I hear lots of this problems with slow speed manuvering .. I never had any thing worth mentioning and haveplenty of experience in parking lot and slow speed traffic ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts