Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking around right now.
Would you take a brand new $4000 Honda CB300F or some used bike?

About me, im about 6'2" and only ever ridden a dirtbike quad n carts n snowmobile once... and a golf cart, have yet to get any kind of license, or drive a car.
I live in Austin, Texas, fairly warm besides the polar vortex things happening these last few years, and rain, and some wind.
My dirtbike was a CRF100F, not really sure how fast it went, but clocked it at 35ish once and had a good amount of rpm to go. (no longer have)
I'm not sure if a car would be financially good for my family, so I thought about a motorcycle.

... 1 year of car insurance could buy the brand new bike... it could be less if my parents had me on their plan thing, not sure. (I just online quote $50 month for bike)
I would plan to ride the bike for many years, maybe get a bigger bike n have 2, bigger one for joy.

Some things that concern me are: cb300f is as fast as a ninja 250... is it downtuned a lot? does that mean it last longer right? Wonder if my 6'2" long spine will be awkward on the bike... on my dirtbike it felt like my heels where next to my cheeks, feet where at such a angle, to use rear brake I had to take my foot off the peg and have only toes on the brake... similar with shifter. (not sure how much it effects it but they are firm dirtbike boots)
Going for a bigger bike off the bat that is used, sounds nice but got so many worries, like the private transaction, or has this bike belonged to one of those youtube stunt riders etc...
another big concern is sweat....

Remember that there are just some thoughts going around in my head...

Thanks,
Awaqa909

·
Registered
629 Posts
Best thing you can do is go to a dealer(s) and sit on a bunch of bikes to see what fits. It's hard to judge on paper. I went to the motorcycle show this year and my two favorite bikes going in were the least comfortable. You won't know until you try it out. Some taller people gravitate towards dual sports because of the higher seats they offer.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Seattle.

I always suggest that you buy used. If you buy used it will sting a lot less when you drop it. And you will drop it. I dropped my first bike, and l had several years of dirt experience. It happens.

As far as a motorcycle being less expensive than a car, that is usually only the case if you buy an exceptionally dependable bike and are able to do all of your repairs and services yourself. Gas is less expensive on a bike. Everything else costs more. Shop rate on a bike is $120 an hour in my area. Gear alone is $500 minimum. You have to replace tires every year or two. I am not in any way trying to discourage you; l absolutely love motorcycling and encourage anyone to give it a spin. But cost is not really a fair justification. We ride because we love to ride.

As far as being a taller rider, l am about your height. I rode a Ninja 500 before l bought my SV650, and it was small. Everything about it felt small. The pegs were small, the seat felt small, it was cramped a bit everywhere. I'm not sure how a CBR300 would compare, but l doubt it would be a whole lot bigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I see a lot of used ninjas 250's that are ~$3000 I'm like why not just spend $1000 more and get a new bike?

Even at this $4k price, I'd have to pay halfish of it...
I/my family are kind of DIY'ers.
From what I'm seeings cars tires/oil changes are similar to a bike... there is just less tires and less oil to go on/in it.
No idea about brakes, but I could possibly be good with engine braking. I read a newer ninja 250 manual and it wanted oil changes every 7,500 miles, bit long for my tastes.

Another thing that kinda bothers me is that the speed limits are as high as 80, maybe 85mph, can't quite remember, but I probably will rarely hit that highway, but then there are 70-75mph highways that are popular. Youtube has people demonstrating ninja 250 speed runs and running on the highway, I think I will be ok? minus finding the balls to go that fast lol.

For gear I got my helmet, and motorcross boots and this riding jacket that has some thick elbow parts, and some gloves.. not sure how it will hold up in a crash as its kinda this meshy stuff, will check out later.
Fuel is cheap right now but that can = fun riding time... I like shifting n matching my reves n stuff, I somehow find fun in it.

But the time I looked at how much it would be to insure a car for me, for 6 months, it would be like $2,600....

Things that would be on my list to get are rain gear: water suit, water pants, bike cover, waterproof backpack... It would be my DD even in weather. Will probably stick to the side roads that are 55mph on rainy days.

I'd like to get a dual sport (allways wanted something bigger then a 100) but I'm not sure if they or really the 06 KLR 650 that this local place has, will keep up on the highway for longish periods of time.

Yeah, I'd test fit them.. maybe I could find a booster seat lol.
But it does seem like 30" is a common seat height.

The same place (motorangutan) has some 250's vary from 2-4 years old and $3,450 - $3850 and 4-3369 miles

ugghh all that text...

I wonder about going to work by motorcycle... Don't you get all sweaty and smelly? :/

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My friend just bought a new CBR300. It was actually like $4399 plus all the other taxes and fees, so you are probably looking at $5000 when all is said and done. I see Ninja 250's go for $2000 all the time in Seattle. Granted, markets do vary.

And while the 300 might have a little more pep and be a little bit faster, your experience from one to the next shouldn't be significant. Not enough to warrant the extra dough in my book. It's your first bike, not your last. An EX500 will outdo either of them and it is still half the price of the CBR.

Do you get all sweaty and smelly riding to work? Well, this depends on many factors. I live in Seattle and rode through this Winter. Most days were in the 40's, so no, it wasn't hot at all. Occasionally l froze my butt off. Yesterday was a hair warm, it was the mid 60's. I only ride 15 minutes though. You can buy gear that is weather appropriate. My jacket has vents that open up to allow airflow throughout. It also has a zip-in liner for when it is cold. There are a lot of options available. Where do you live?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts