Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone that has been in an accident or had to lay a bike down at speed will tell you that your safety gear is not the place to save money.

The problem is that when you need it, you really need it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Even a drop from hip high can cause damage to a helmet. Not only that but what if the person before had head lice or worse? Your head tends to form a shape in the helmet much like your sneakers. So it may not fit another egg properly. I agree there is no price tag for ones safety

·
American Legion Rider
20,037 Posts
It would seem that most everyone here has never been poor. Poor folks do what it takes to get by. Given that, would it be best then to go without a helmet or buy a $10 used one? I still say ANY helmet is better than none. I'm not an elitist. Probably cause I continue to put myself in that poor category. However at my point in life I wouldn't buy a used helmet but back just out of high school, sure. You got to start somewhere and something is better than nothing. I know. Some of you would still say no.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Flied Lice Helmets?

Absolutely. Just like a lot of motorcycles, a lot of helmets get purchased and infrequently used.

3 of my 5 helmets are used. Two of those came from thrift stores. My modular (winter) Shoei, and my 3/4 black w smoke visor with HARD radar alert system, the helmet I use the most in summer/fall, for DAYTIME riding.

HARD - In helmet radar alert system

Arai -- purchased off Craigslist

All are either Snell or DOT approved.

Paid $30 for the Shoei, $100 for the Arai, and maybe $20 for the 3/4, all in like-new condition. (Shoei's got some minor, mostly cosmetic issues... but with its neck gator, it's toasty when it's cold out.

I checked the dates on all of them and inspected for damage, abrasion etc. None. Even the visors were "like new," I wouldn't buy one with a scratched up visor anyway. And they all FIT, which is the most important thing. Liners went in the washing machine after purchase.

I passed up a nice $20 silver/grey Fulmer because the visor was malfunctioning, felt I had enough helmets anyway. Those are pretty pricey, aren't they?

I can't justify spending $400-600 on a new Shoei or Arai, but I certainly don't mind owning one!

I purchased NEW a Bell Mag9 because of the promised integration with the Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset which proved to be ...illusory. I wanted tunes, cellphone, and radar detector tones IN the helmet. Best I could get was 2 out of the 3. If I were doing it again I'd buy the SMH20 and mount it to (any) existing helmet, forget about trying to hear speakers and use earbud jack. Speaker volume insufficient over 40mph with SHM-10.

Instead of Radar Detector tones, I get a visual (flashing LED) warning using the H.A.R.D. system in the black helmet. So if I want to speed AND listen to music, I have to wear 2 helmets....

I've got one other store bought, from the Helmet Center in Phoenix, a white 3/4 with "Top Gun" inner visor. That's the helmet I had to adjust the fit on by grinding away some styrofoam. Tips on adjusting helmet fit:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=129489

Whether I want heat (Shoei), cool (HC), speed(HARD), communications/music (Mag9) or style(Arai) , I've got a helmet for it.

I'm easily recognizable riding because of the painter's tape I put along the bottom of my visors. That's so, riding into the sun, I can raise the visor up and use the tape strip to block the direct sunlight.

My next helmet will have front and rear facing cameras, a Head's up display (like the Skully), integrated GPS, and will may something like this.. ;)

or the redneck version:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'm going to put 4 in my yard sale next spring priced at $5.00 each. The last time I did that they were some of the 1st things to go. I'll be selling them due to getting new ones with the built in sun visors. We're not 4 headed so we just don't need this many helmets.

That being said I wouldn't personally buy a used helmet but I won't spend $400 on a new one either. My $70.00 Fulmer and my $100.00 Scorpion are very comfy.

·
American Legion Rider
20,037 Posts
Right on MONI.:thumbsup: Or in my case why was good money on a head that isn't worth that much!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty much the response l was thinking l might get. Hogcowboy hit it right on the head...l didn't grow up with much, so while l could now afford to spend the money for a really nice helmet, l have a hard time doing it, especially when l see what look like brand new $500 helmets going for under a hundred. I guess this is something l need to think about.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Some time ago, somewhere on this Forum I read a post about old helmet molds being sold to other companies when it was time to change. Finally, I found it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrashIdaho View Post
If you're really wanting to go bigger on the sportbike style then a Ninja 650 or Versys 650 are pretty reasonable bike. They are parallel twins and not as high strung as a four cylinder.

Helmet wise, let me tell you a dirty little secret: some manufacturers will sell their old molds to...ahhhh...economy companies. Rather than just brand, look for what you need in a helmet--starting with a DOT rating, Snell approval and CE is good as well. You should be able to get away with as little as $150 depending on style. I'm a full face guy and recommend it because there's a lot of folks who fall on their faces and mine needs all the help it can get.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Problems with used helmets for me are unreported sharp collision with a fixed object and type of storage. Was the helmet kept in a hot environment.
I don't think I could trust any seller to be completely forthright.

I'm with Moni. There are LOTS of affordable helmets that meet DOT and/or Snell. I'll get one of those before I'll get a used "designer label" helmet.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
>Helmet wise, let me tell you a dirty little secret: some manufacturers will sell their old molds to...ahhhh...economy companies.

As an engineer, I fail to understand why you (poster or OP) feel an "old mold" would produce an inferior product to a brand new one.

It's likely a heat treated steel mold, treated with mold release, dealing with much softer fiberglass and styrofoam.

Wear might produce cosmetic flaws in the resulting fiberglass bucket, or styrofoam insert, but.. so what? Worst case? Any measurable wear on the mold would result in an ever-so slightly thicker fiberglass bucket, in the consumer's FAVOR.

Posting this sort of....unsubstantiated innuendo....helps no one. Scare tactics, imho.

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
Absolutely. Just like a lot of motorcycles, a lot of helmets get purchased and infrequently used.

All are either Snell or DOT approved.

I checked the dates on all of them and inspected for damage, abrasion etc. None. Even the visors were "like new," I wouldn't buy one with a scratched up visor anyway. And they all FIT, which is the most important thing. Liners went in the washing machine after purchase.
--

I agree. I wash all mine periodically even though I know who's been wearing them. I wash the liner and the shell.

As to if one has been dropped--so what. I always hear that a dropped one is no longer any good. If falling (without a head in it) six feet to the ground is going to "ruin" it, then it's pretty bad to start with. Who said that would "ruin" the helmet and make it unsafe--the company that wants to sell you a new one? You mean if your $500. Shoei falls off your seat, now you're going to junk it? Right.

--

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
>Helmet wise, let me tell you a dirty little secret: some manufacturers will sell their old molds to...ahhhh...economy companies.

As an engineer, I fail to understand why you (poster or OP) feel an "old mold" would produce an inferior product to a brand new one.

It's likely a heat treated steel mold, treated with mold release, dealing with much softer fiberglass and styrofoam.

Wear might produce cosmetic flaws in the resulting fiberglass bucket, or styrofoam insert, but.. so what? Worst case? Any measurable wear on the mold would result in an ever-so slightly thicker fiberglass bucket, in the consumer's FAVOR.

Posting this sort of....unsubstantiated innuendo....helps no one. Scare tactics, imho.
Who said it would be inferior??? I took it to mean that some of the more inexpensive helmets are maybe just last year's much more expensive helmet...whom shall remain nameless. :biggrin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are 1 use items and if they are dropped from even 3 feet they can be compromised. There are a lot of places to save money but not with the safely of your head. Never would I buy one and if I get one free with a bike or something I will only take it so they there is one less out there to put other people in danger.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts