Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the XS400 to the mainland. Around freezing, but no rain or snow. But wind and snow predicted.

Went to a mall down the road in WA. Not much happening. Power was out.

Went to a mall near here. Decided to get a new battery for the cage key. Did not work. Put in another new battery, did not work. Was concerned alarm would go off if we opened the door with the key. Service lady said it would not. Opened door and the alarm went off. Key button finally opened the door. Drove to the Honda place. Guy said some batteries do not work in the key thingy. He also showed us how to turn off the alarm if we use the key to get in. New maxell CR2025 battery works.

Snowed about a foot overnight. I can not get the bike to the main road. So I am leaving it here, and taking the bus to get home. Last night ferries cancelled due to snow. Will leave Tuesday morning. Bought a new battery tender for DP the XS400. Will leave it here until the snow clears.

It is snowing again. Could be an interesting day tomorrow.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Keep us posted on your adventures Krusty

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep us posted on your adventures Krusty
Will do. I even forgot one of the things that went wrong. Shirley's BD is the 16th of January. A nice local restaurant sends out and email to say you can have a free meal on your BD. Just one small catch. They are closed until the weather gets better.

She went on line and found the owners, also own another place near here. They transferred the free meal to the other place. We went a few days ago.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I have a friend that's all the way down to Florence Oregon near the coast and even he was getting snow. That's one nasty storm y'all are getting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rode the XS400 to the mainland. Around freezing, but no rain or snow. But wind and snow predicted.
Greetings from another island on the other side of the world.

Do you meet many bikers on the road at this time of year?

The snow in Seattle was so heavy that it even got mentioned on
Irish TV news. I know you are just a bit up the road from there,
although perception of distance here is quite different to
North America.

I remember telling a radio-ham friend in Nevada that I was away for
a long trip to Sligo over the weekend. When he asked how far it was,
I told him it was just over 200 miles each way. His reply:
"Around here, that's just a trip down to the mailbox".

New maxell CR2025 battery works.
That's interesting. I have a digital torque measurement adapter that
takes a CR2032 lithium cell. Battery life is ridiculously short using
cheap cells from the discount store. Maybe a more expensive
branded cell would perform better.

Snowed about a foot overnight. I can not get the bike to the main road.
You are using the wrong tyres. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eisspeedway_Maschine_05.JPG

It is snowing again. Could be an interesting day tomorrow.
Take care.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up early, out the door at 0822, five minute walk to bus stop, on bus at 0830.
Off at exchange, 14 minute wait, another bus, to another exchange. 3 minute wait, bus to ferry. Roads are slush and slippery, traffic slow, snowing steady but not hard. Impossible for a street bike. Light weight off road bike too slow in these conditions.
Free ferry ride, mainland to the big island, about 35 miles. Chatted to a couple of swell worker guys, and they gave me a lift from the big boat dock, to my smaller boat dock. 5 minute wait, another free ride, 20 minutes to my Island. Footsies off first. Stick my thumb out at the bottom of the hill. Nice lady gave me a ride to about half way down the Island. Thumb out again, nice couple dropped me off at the end of my drive. 6 hours total. Will take at least a week of warm weather to clear the roads. Power was off sometime while I was gone. Meeting for Thursday cancelled.

Tomorrow I will fire up Herb N tractor and clear some snow. Then I can get the van cage out the drive. Probably be about two weeks before I go and rescue Deep Purple.

UK

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings from another island on the other side of the world.

Do you meet many bikers on the road at this time of year?

I remember telling a radio-ham friend in Nevada that I was away for
a long trip to Sligo over the weekend. When he asked how far it was,
I told him it was just over 200 miles each way. His reply:
"Around here, that's just a trip down to the mailbox".

Take care.
We just visited Shirley's ( Mrs Snippets ) mother in Edmonton. 700 miles one way. And that only gets us about one third the way in to Alberta, which is the next Province over.
From here to Toronto is about 2400 miles, or twice as far as here to Las Angeles. A lot of folks around here drive to Arizona or Mexico for the winter. Going the other way, it is 2300 from here to the Arctic Ocean.
Bike are out when it is sunny. Few ride in the rain. Temperature is not the biggest problem when it is below freezing. The road surface is.

UK

·
Registered
225 Posts
I live about 100KM SE of Edmonton. Welcome to our beautiful and cold province! We've had a bid of a cold snap this winter as I am sure you are aware! Normally I'd be out on the snowmobile this time of year but I'm still grounded. Looking forward to spring when we can get out on the roads once they get cleaned up. Enjoy your visit to Edmonton!

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Power went off around 0200 last night. Just on at 0900. Generator is still running, will shut it off and switch back to Hydro now. Used the propane furnace to go from 43 F to 70.
After brekky I will fire up the tractor and clear the drive. Might do the neighbours too. We are just above freezing here and slowly warming.
Meanwhile on the mainland, the gas furnace has quit in the condo. Fixit guy can not get there until 1600. New furnace to replace the new furnace, which replaced the 17 year old furnace.

UK

·
Registered
212 Posts
helped a guy two weeks ago replacing a 72,000 btu residential gas furnace. this morning replaced the ignitor. i'm more of an all around fixit guy.could'nt tell you why it failed.

·
15,495 Posts
Unless I miss counted you had 8 different modes of transportation in 6 hours. Good job.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless I miss counted you had 8 different modes of transportation in 6 hours. Good job.
Yes, that's what I get too.
The best part was the ride from the big ferry, terminal to the terminal for my Island. About 12 miles, no buses
Back on the mainland at Shirley's condo: They plowed the driveway yesterday after I left.
The wall thermostat switch uses batteries. Old ones were flat. We will know for next time.
Mid thirties here and melting. My drive is clear after putting the tractor to work.
Maybe 3 or 4 days before I can ride a bike around the Island.

UK

·
15,495 Posts
Weird, my thermostat uses batteries for the memory but it will run without them just at a constant setting.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I bet there are a lot of folks that have dead batteries in their thermostat. It is so easy to forget about those suckers. I realized ours had not been changed not long ago. When I checked them, they were still showing voltage but well below usable range. For practical purposes, dead.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wot went wrong again:
For starters the alarm went off at 0625 instead of 0725. I must have pressed the time button when setting the alarm.
Sooooo. Maybe I can make the earlier ferry to the big island. Need 30 minutes. Doing well, on time, 10 minutes to go, put key in Yami, and nothing. Erk.
Yesterday I was inspecting the wyres for the maintainer / charger unit, and created a tiny spark. Did not pursue it.
Two 10 amp fuses were blown. I carry spare fuses in the tank bag. The tank bag is sitting on Deep Purple on the mainland. Erk.
Found two fuses in my supply stash, put them in and did a test fire. Missed the 0735 ferry. Add to list. More fuses for Yami.

Leave in 15 for the 0850 ferry which was the one I was going to take anyway. And the sun is out now. Quick check. Van window still frozen. No thawing yet, but moments away.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Well on the bright side the fuse blew so you didn't let any magic smoke escape those wire tubes.:grin:

·
15,495 Posts
Well Krusty in the long run it was a good thing you had that extra hour this morning.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Those are the kind of days where I take the hint and not leave the house.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to go Monday to Thursday because it is cheaper. The diver dude will be here early next week, so shaft zincs were on my shopping list. Otherwise I would have taken the hint as suggested, and stayed home.

The extra hour did come in handy. As well as getting Yami running again, I realized I had not put on the new licence plate. Did that.
There are a lot of salt pellets on the road. So much for brine. There is also fine sand and gravel down the middle, and some places where the snow piles melted, and went across the road, and froze again at night. All adds to the drama.

New issue. Hardly any front brake. The left hand caliper is dripping brake fluid. AAAAaaaaaahhh

UK

·
15,495 Posts
Good thing Shirley knows a good mechanic.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts