Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm just getting into riding and a family friend said that they had a bike in their yard. I went to check it out and it's got rust everywhere, both the tires are flat it looks like it was being worked on before it was left and I have pictures but it seems like there's no way to post them? If it's just the engine trouble I have to worry about(and wheels and other replaceable things) then I want to keep it and work on it but I was wondering if it's to rusted out to be safe. No one knows anything about it as it was a bike that an x-boyfriend left behind. If some one could explain how to post pictures that would be great and then also give input.

The bike is a Kawasaki 750 ltd.

Edit: I sort of figured out how to upload images, there attachments though.

Edit: never mind the pictures seem fine.

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Depends on the state. NH is really easy for bikes over 20 years old.

It looks reasonably complete and not wrecked, so assuming the engine turns it might be a good project. It will need new tires and a complete fuel system overhaul minimum.

This is a project bike though.. do this because you want a project bike. If you're just looking for an inexpensive bike to learn to ride on it's better to move on and get something that actually is on the road. This is a bike for someone who WANTS to work on one. It's going to take time - and you have to have a space to work on it for an extended period. It's likely going to break down the first couple times you have it on the road, too, as the bugs get worked out of it.

I wouldn't even consider it though if the engine won't physically turn - that's the first thing to check.

And what Dods said above is very true. Unless you get really really lucky you won't come out ahead financially, especially if you figure out your time you will have into it. It really depends on what's wrong with it though.

Do you know what year it is and how many miles are on it?

Reactions: cc rider

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I would price the exhausts, seat, tires and all that first. Factory air filters are best. Pod air filters can cause all sorts of problems causing the bike to run lean. Drain the oil and note the color. Milky tan is bad and means water in the engine. Black oil is ok, but check for metal in the oil.

Maybe the bike could be parted out and the money you make could go toward a better bike. The boyfriend left that bike there for a reason. Just be careful with your money until that bike RUNS. Many many people spend on cosmetics first and all that money is wasted unless your engine runs.

Not to say it cannot be done, because I had success on my first project--but the bike sitting outside makes it a lot tougher. I paid $150 for a barn bike and $70 for parts, but it was a popular Honda and parts were easy to source
Just for an example, I bought a $300.00 Gold Wing. All the guys on the GW forums are betting a thousand to restore, but all the signs are there including good compression even across all cylinders AFTER I patiently learned about the bike and got everything cleaned up. It fires without the carbs installed, but I got too busy at work for much wrenching time to finish it up
Just the other day, a super nice 'wing came up for $1250 fully dressed in super condition. I know how they price them and it was about half what it should have been.Sometimes good deals will come your way. now I have a nice touring bike for the same money without turning a wrench.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
Worth trying to fix up? No. You'll never come out on it financially and probably never ride it.

Or should I just get rid of it? Yes. Save yourself the time, disappointment and MONEY.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Honestly? Nothing. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's a non-running bike that's been sitting outside for a long time. And, it's not really old enough to be valuable. While the KZ750 is a great bike, it's not really unique or interesting.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I bet if you parted it out and sold bits of it on ebay you could get a coupe hundred for it, but it might take a while and then there's the question of how big of a chunk of each sale ebay would take..

It's tough though parting out a non-running bike.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I think it is really hard to say, were it mine, first thing to do is drain oil, if it is like Slumlord says milky tan, well that is not good, I would drain it and run through a cheese cloth to check for metal particles, put new oil in and check the compression, find out what the shop manual says it should be. If it is up to snuff, nice, if not drop a good tablespoon of oil in her plug hole, compression goes up you need a ring job, stays the same, a valve job and who knows what I'd find. If I think there is enough compression to run, then I'd clean the air filters, put in some good gas and hook up to a car battery, and see if I could whip her over and get her started.

If the engine starts, and stays running, well. . .I'd think the carbs are o.k. and run an ounce of seafoam per gallon of gas, let her run while I think about this as I drink a cold beer.

I could look at this in two different ways, Never all that bad an idea to have another bike and by working on this, learn something about motorcycles, knowledge will never hurt anyone. If I have the resources, do I want to dump a lot into this at once or over two years? It might be nice to take a bike and 'Bring it back to the land of the living.'

With the engine running, I'd check charging system if not putting out at all, it could be a bad wire as a bad rectifier/regulator will either not put out enough voltage to charge or too much, then add cost of R/R if no voltage, I'd check the stator leads for a.c. voltage and see what the shop manual says. If stator is good then add cost of R/R to Slumlord's list of tires, seat, exhaust pipes,battery, new air cleaners, plugs and probably wires.

I would take the tire off the rim, put rim back on bike and check tranny and clutch, most likely would need new primary fluid and clutch plates might be all right

If the engine runs, stays running, stator is good, I'd get a new R/R if needed, I'd find out the cost of a decent engine, add it all up and see whether it is worth the effort to restore, if not, the engine runs and I'd sell for the cost of a decent engine, saying it could be pretty awsum on a GO-Kart frame. There could be TOO much that is needed but some one else might like this project if they see the engine runs, maybe someone who really likes this brand of bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts