Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was replacing my rear sprocket on my YBR 125 project bike, I realised that my cush drives were quite worn out and causing the sprocket to wobble a bit. I've ordered the replacement ones straight away but they won't be delivered until Tuesday. Would it be safe to ride with this much wobbling on the sprocket until then? (Wheel is aligned perfectly).
Here's the video.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I just cut up pieces of old inner tubes to stick in the cush drive to tighten it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just cut up pieces of old inner tubes to stick in the cush drive to tighten it up.
I've heard that trick before, but I remembered it way after I ordered the rubber.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I checked out your video after making my last post. I assume that the rear axle is not torqued down yet? A worn cush drive is more of a nuisance than a safety issue. A worn cush drive should still spin straight when torqued down. If it is wobbling like that when it is torqued down, you may need to check the bearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok that's bad news then because it is torqued to the correct value... I did check the bearing when I removed the wheel and everything, but that was a very quick check and I might've missed something. However, wouldn't the wheel wobble as well if the bearing was damaged though?

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Not if it is just the bearing in the cush drive. You should have 1 in the cush drive, and 1 on either side of the wheel for a total of 3. It seems to me you should be hearing something.
That is a brand new (and not warped) sprocket, correct?
Are all the spacers correctly in place?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it's a brand new steel sprocket. There is absolutely no sound coming from any bearings, it turns like hot knife on butter. Also I'm certain that no warping on the sprocket as I measured and examined it carefully before I put it on. Also the spacers are correctly placed. I am so confused now lol - I guess I'll just wait for the rubbers to arrive and see if changes anything.

Just in case, I just ordered replacement bearings. I'll eventually need them if not now, as this bike was in absolutely horrible condition when I purchased it!

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
It is wobbly, but rideable. Reason being it is a 125. The delay sensation is exciting, after you have been riding another bike, that does not take up the slack. Check all the bearings again, and bung in the new parts.

Bon chance. UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.