Motorcycle Forum banner

World’s Greatest Mechanic

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SlightlyOffAxis 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I started off on an unexpected odyssey. I was simply going to replace main jets, as per the instructions, to match my cone filters, learn to sync my carbs and drive off into the sunset. I figured four hours to a day max.

Well here I am two weeks later and a little wiser. After I replaced the jets I took off for a test ride and came back to adjust the needle position. I had already established a good idle and throttle response was excellent except for a flat spot just past ¼ throttle.

As the weeks rolled by and with each carb cleaning and bench sync the bike ran worse. I would dismantle them, clean everything put them back on and sit there looking at it afraid to be disappointed yet again. I would get up the nerve and it would be worse still. I spent hours on the internet looking up anything I could find on the Mikuni BS32 Type 2 and read volumes. It got to the point that I found myself staring at the bike, having double and triple checked everything bewildered that it would no longer even start. It would spin like crazy but not start.

I checked vacuum hoses, throttle stop and mixture settings, wiring, and the coils, nothing. I had run all kinds of carb cleaner and additives from SeaFoam to Techron and every time I took the carbs of I sprayed WD-40 into the manifold so they would go on nice and easy, I was fast becoming an expert at removal and installation of these carbs something I never set out to do.

Last night I looked into ignition systems figuring maybe I needed a new component and plug wires. I went to the NGK page to see what they had and read up on their products. With NGK on my mind I made a last attempt and resolving this problem and pulled the plugs to have a look. Surprise, Surprise, all four were fouled. With all the stuff I had put in combined with the days of idling, with a fan, never burning off any of that stuff. And the fact they needed to be changed any way it was a cumulative sabotage of all my work. I put in the new plugs and barely touched the starter and she started right up. Within fifteen minutes I had the carbs synched and idling perfectly.

Moral of the story…I don’t have one yet, but it has been an adventure.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.