Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve recently come into possession of a 1982 Honda Cm250c. It’s cosmetically sound and the previous owner said it ran when he parked it (but avoided telling me when that was). So I’ve been working on it and doing simply things like replacing the solenoid, new battery, new air filter, and other small things such as that. But for some reason, power isn’t going through to the rest of the motorcycle from the solenoid. The motorcycle will crank when the connection from the right tower on the solenoid goes to the solenoid wires but only then. It doesn’t respond to the key being in different positions and none of the gauges or lights work when it’s in the on position. I’m extremely confused and can’t do anything with it because school got cancelled a week early from spring break so I’ve decided to ask around for advice on what the problem might be.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

What you describe sounds to me like there is an issue with either the starter switch or the wiring associated with the starter switch.

But personally, I'd be focused first on making sure that the ignition system had power and was working correctly, and I'd be using the kick starter to kick the bike over. Take the plugs out, ground them against the head and kick the bike over to verify you have spark. Once you verify the ignition system, work on the fuel system, which is almost certainly going to need the carbs and lines cleaned.

I hope you made sure there was oil in the engine, and shot some penetrating oil into the cylinders, before you started spinning it with the electric starter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum.

What you describe sounds to me like there is an issue with either the starter switch or the wiring associated with the starter switch.

But personally, I'd be focused first on making sure that the ignition system had power and was working correctly, and I'd be using the kick starter to kick the bike over. Take the plugs out, ground them against the head and kick the bike over to verify you have spark. Once you verify the ignition system, work on the fuel system, which is almost certainly going to need the carbs and lines cleaned.

I hope you made sure there was oil in the engine, and shot some penetrating oil into the cylinders, before you started spinning it with the electric starter?
The bike doesn’t have a kick start? But I did put oil into the cylinders and new gas in the tank before I tried cranking it, it’s got new oil too. But thanks for the advice, I’ll be sure to clean the carb and fuel lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.