Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come when something needs fixing on your bike, working on it is fun, But when something needs to be fixed on your car, it just sucks?

·
American Legion Rider
18,625 Posts
Depends on exactly what's wrong in either case. Changing oil is the same. In fact I have less on the floor after a car than I do with a bike. So the bike is more trouble. It all depends.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Depends on the car. If it's your everyday commuter Camry, it sucks. If it's your weekend musclecar toy, it's fun.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Or it also depends if your vehicle is needed for really important things that others cant do, like towing the Space Shuttle.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
How come when something needs fixing on your bike, working on it is fun, But when something needs to be fixed on your car, it just sucks?
Depends on what needs fixing .. If have a simple Flat for example .. If have these Classic Spoke Wheels with Tubes that some just have to have .. Much rather have a simple flat on my Truck .. Will be on my way in 20 mins .. Just FYI Have not run Tubes on a Bike since my 04 Heritage ..

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
It's not as big a deal as it would seem to pull a rolling heavy load. My old Suzuki King Quad, with the super low range transmission can pull many, many times its own weight. Only limitation is traction. In the case of the Toyota, any comparably optioned full size truck will do the same. But it was a cool marketing tool nonetheless.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
It's not as big a deal as it would seem to pull a rolling heavy load. My old Suzuki King Quad, with the super low range transmission can pull many, many times its own weight. Only limitation is traction. In the case of the Toyota, any comparably optioned full size truck will do the same. But it was a cool marketing tool nonetheless.

Marketing ??????? I heard Ford, Chevy, and Dodge tried, but their axels were left on the asphalt. This shuttle was near 150,000 lbs............. :biggrin:

Besides the load was not rolling -------> https://youtu.be/EsLxbNXu6GU

https://youtu.be/DIA2o6nvK1g

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Marketing ??????? I heard Ford, Chevy, and Dodge tried, but their axels were left on the asphalt. This shuttle was near 150,000 lbs............. :biggrin:

Besides the load was not rolling -------> https://youtu.be/EsLxbNXu6GU

https://youtu.be/DIA2o6nvK1g
Yeah I love marketing, especially some of the old classic stuff.

Here's a old classic clip of a Ford truck climbing a rocky hill, while carrying a Chevy truck in its bed and towing a Dodge :D

·
6,503 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
The Tundra just pulled the shuttle across a flat bridge for a short distance and then immediately the frame/ chassis completely disintegrated and the TOYoda had to be towed to the scrap yard.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+tundra+rusted+frame+recall&biw=1324&bih=664&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi92sGk8aLKAhVM4yYKHfD0DPsQsAQIMA

Sam:coffeescreen:

Of course 13 year old vehicle's rot. Anyone knows this that lives north of Virginia..... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Rot.

Of course 13 year old vehicle's rot. Anyone knows this that lives north of Virginia..... :biggrin:
I have a 78 Chev 3/4 ton North of Virginia. I have an 8000 pound sail boat on a triple axle goose neck trailer. I will keep the truck to move the boat when it is sold. Then sell the truck, probably for what I paid for it in the early 80s.

The truck hauled the boat and trailer over the Cascade mountains. And that was not the heaviest load. Prior to that it spent years hauling a goose neck stock trailer, often with 120 bales of hay.
That and much other farm work.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,502 Posts
Depends on the car. If it's your everyday commuter CamryE, it sucks. If it's your weekend musclecar toy, it's fun.

Exactly, depends what you are working on.

And Artful I have an 01 (I make that out to be 15 years old) Nissan truck north of Virginia with no rust problems.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Exactly, depends what you are working on.

And Artful I have an 01 (I make that out to be 15 years old) Nissan truck north of Virginia with no rust problems.

I forgot DC spreads money on the road when it snows, but the rest of us get salt..... My apology's....... :biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Depends on exactly what's wrong in either case. Changing oil is the same. In fact I have less on the floor after a car than I do with a bike. So the bike is more trouble. It all depends.
The bike I change the oil on. There's no need to jack it up or crawl under it. Which is why I take the car elsewhere for a oil change.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You're driving the wrong car!

Right on.

They have a VW show here at least twice a year at the City Center and I always enjoy walking around and looking when I can. (It's only a 2 mile walk round trip.) Some of the vans are looking better and better, and there's always a lot of them in various states of repair. When I was younger I was always more of a Type I guy, but man! Some of the vans I've seen look dern-right sexy! That was a great design.

·
American Legion Rider
18,625 Posts
Is the new flower child vehicle the Prius? I sorta miss the days of muscle cars and yippy vans sitting side by side at intersections. The looks each occupant gave each other was interesting to say the least.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
If we're talking about rust, I have a 1993 F350 with very well ventilated cab floors. I have to set mice traps in there to keep them from nesting. :D

But it has a noisy, clanky, can't-hear-anything-in-the-drive-thru, 7.3L pre-powerstroke that will still be running the day the cab finally falls off the frame.

·
American Legion Rider
18,625 Posts
You just need a simple body transplant. Restorers nearly do that all the time. If everything else about that thing was good I'd seriously consider doing that instead of paying the crazy amount they want for new trucks. We see pickup beds all the time here but cabs are also available. $10K and you might be in business. Maybe even less.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts