Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

26 year old from New Hampshire, new rider as of July, haven't been able to get my bike on the road yet, the anticipation is killing me!
Got a 1980 CB650 last fall for next to nothing and I'm getting closer and closer to getting it running.
Need to figure out some electronics (indicators) and get a proper throttle (pull) cable, but that should be it (knock on wood)

Would like to connect with some people who have knowledge of vintage Japanese motorcycles, have some serious plans for over the winter!

Thanks
-John

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm inerested in hearing how it all works out. I don't have a lot of money and am trying to decide whether to wait and save a good amount for a newer bike or pick up a project for less money and learn some things. I'm not sure I'm good enough to do the 2nd thing..... LOL. But I don't know how long it will take to save a couple of grand..... Money is tight. Lots to do in our household.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've learned so far, patience is a virtue. My bike was cheap, so I've been having to buy parts here and there in order to get it running. There seems to always be something new I have to replace, but I've wanted a vintage Honda for years so I couldn't pass it up.
In an ideal world, I'd have my CB650 that I can tinker with and modify, and have a new reliable bike under warranty that I can take on longer trips,
but for now, this is what I've got
I must say it's satisfying working on a bike and making it your own!
You can get decent bikes for cheap, something even for $1,000 or less can be roadworthy, you just have to find the right deal and be willing to put work in if something arises; I am lucky to have mechanically inclined friends to help me if I need it though.
Will update on the build!

Cheers

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Welcome to the site!!!

I'm by far no expert in any area of motorcycle repair (except Chinese scooters.. *sigh*), but most of my bikes in my fleet are Japanese machines that are old enough to be my parents. You're right on the mark about that $1k or less remark. ALL of the motorcycles in my current stable were purchased for less than $1k and all but two of them were in road ready shape needing nothing. And as for the other two? Really just a carb clean and a battery from being on the road again.

Once you get it running right, you'll forget all about that "motorcycle with a warranty" thing. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Yup! Got my carbs rebuilt and bought a new battery. Will need new tires but should stay under $7-800 for it to be ready.
Though I know I'm gonna drop some money over the winter on some *tasteful* modifications.

Heard over and over again that Hondas are indestructible, one of the reasons I bought it!

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like a super fun project you got there. I am also working on a project Honda. It's a 1982 CM450C and I'm slowly getting it close to running. I'd like to hear about your progress.

Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CM450C is very similar looks-wise to my bike. The project is never going to end, I'm always going to want to change something about it but that's what makes it fun. Got the electrical situation I mentioned above figured out and my throttle cable came today. Hopefully getting the carbs installed tonight/tomorrow and we'll see what happens! Pictures will be added once I reach 15 posts.

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
I have a problem(bug) reported on this display image problem. I have it tide to an image button problem I've reported earlier. But if necessary I'll make it a stand alone bug report. I'll stay after it but don't expect a miracle. I suspect it's a very deep rooted bug. Hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath. But the problem is reported and I'll follow up if necessary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK. I wasn't sure if it was cuz I was new or not but I posted pics in the same way before and didn't have a problem. These ones were images taken from the internet though. From a Google Pic search. I think the other ones I posted were from imgur.com. The host site I use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I'm having trouble getting pictures up, although I uploaded an online photo the other day
Hopefully I'll be able to get them up soon.

Got her to fire this week, put the stock air intake on to make it run less lean and she idled for about 30 seconds before she sang her swan song.
Trying to figure out if it's a timing issue or idle adjustment but we're seeing progress!

Pics to come

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
OK. I wasn't sure if it was cuz I was new or not but I posted pics in the same way before and didn't have a problem. These ones were images taken from the internet though. From a Google Pic search. I think the other ones I posted were from imgur.com. The host site I use.
Okay, here is the official reason they are not showing from mo admin...

mo admin said:
Those images in that post are being hosted on a insecure site, meaning it doesn't have SSL, meaning communication is not encrypted . We do have SSL. The images are being blocked from being shown by the browsers themselves (Chrome, Firefox, etc.), which block insecure communication on secure sites. If you were to open that page with an older browser, such as IE, you'd be able to see the pics, as their security is a lot lower then something that's still being fully supported.
I know it does really help and it's very confusing to me as I see images not displaying that have displayed for me before. I still think there is a bug but the admins did investigate this particular problem and came up with that explanation. So...sorry...it is what it is for now.:plain:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I do not know a lot about your particular bike but I do know where you buy parts for a vintage bike makes all the difference in the world in how much it costs. If you are not familiar with them check out Babbitt's Honda Online parts. I got some parts for my daughter's CB300F there and they seem reasonable. Here is a link to their site, they list a 1980 CB650A and CB650C A, I linked the A model: (https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/l/hon/50541760f870021c54bef5ef/1980-cb650-a-parts) Good luck with your project. Shinko Tourmaster 230 series tires should fit your bike. They are excellent and reasonable tires with a modern tread design.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Make sure your air box is sealed where it needs to be. Extra air will make it run terrible and you don't to need to explore rejetting until you have a good running baseline to compare it to. Good luck!

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
I investigated my own image problem and it turns out I did it to myself when I created the sub-forum to the introduction forum.:sad: :sad: :sad: I fixed it so images in that forum now work for those that use Tapatalk.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OldVet66,

Great info, thanks. Heard bad seals on the airbox can cause a bad idle but I haven't confirmed that issue on my bike yet.
I actually just got shinko's put on and, though I haven't ridden the bike yet, I am very happy with them.

Diagnosed a spark plug issue last night, got new plugs today, and it still has an erratic idle and continues to backfire.
Going to check the coil packs and replace if needed, but I'm sure there will be something else!

One thing about a project bike, it'll force you to learn some patience! Especially when riding season is dwindling

1 - 18 of 18 Posts