Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a radio woodgrain accent for a GoldWing GL1800. I have found the instrument cluster woodgrain accent but unable to find the radio woodgrain accent. I know it is out there I have seen it a few years ago. The chrome one I am looking for in woodgrain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
old part search

check all the salvage yards.
local dealers first.
then dig down deep and go to one of those refurbished motorcycle part gurus, and give them top buck fer it.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
You could try a local carpenter, to see if they could cut you one, out of thin plywood, with a jigsaw; if it were me, I'd let them stain and seal it, as well, making certain to tell them it will be exposed to weather, and rain.

Otherwise, there is wood-grain Contact Paper, in the kitchen supply area of places like Wal-Mart. This stuff is textured, peel-n-stick, vinyl. It would be relatively easy to cover the panel, then cut out the holes with an X-acto knife. Cost would be a few dollars, and an hour of your time. Can't say how durable it would be, however.

A third option would be to look up faux wood-grain painting techniques, on the Internet. I've seen it in the past. Different techniques exist, some achieving better results than others. Cheers!
:coffee:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and you guys have some good ideas for sure. :) But since I was unable to find what I was looking for I went with the chrome instead. However, no I am rethinking it and if I come across woodgrain I may replace what I added. It would not be easy getting off what I added, but it could be done.

I never though about actual wood but I don't really want real wood. It is a good idea though. I actually never thought about that.

Once I did contact paper on the sides of an old station wagon I had years ago and it looked super nice when I was done with it. No one could even tell I did it, so that for sure is an option. Although, I hate to be cheap like that. lol

Painting it is another good idea. I have done camo a few times but never attempted a woodgrain type of paint job.

You guys gave me something to think about, thanks. :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
What I have seen boat builders do is use real wood veneer pressed over an item, or make the entire item out of wood. Then it get's saturated with epoxy so it becomes almost impervious to weather. It's called "WEST." Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique. Similar to how strip or plywood hulls are made.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
How sturdy does the item have to be to be pressed on? The accents (hate to say) are pretty cheap.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Hydro dipping. You can get almost any design

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
How sturdy does the item have to be to be pressed on? The accents (hate to say) are pretty cheap.
Just enough to form the veneer until the epoxy sets. And most veneers are very thin and flexible, like a piece of shirt cardboard. Put a little water on them and you can get them pretty pliable, depending on the species.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts