Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HD street 750. Every time I try to start the engine up I hear a rather loud clicking noise coming from under the seat. Not entirely sure whats going on here. It was working just fine a week ago when I rode it last. Unfortunately I caant post the video and im not the best at explaining things. any advice would be nice.

thank you

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Do you have a Volt meter? Know where the battery is? If both are yes, use the meter to measure the battery with the key off, then with the key on. Off, a fully charged battery should be 12.6V, or a bit more (depends on the accuracy of the meter). Key on, it should remain very near that; if it drops more than about 1V, the battery is failing. While you are looking at the battery, try to move the heavy wires attached to it; they should not slide around at all. There should also be little crud built up on them at the battery.

Or, you could remove the battery and take it to a store that sells batteries, and ask them to test it. WARNING: remove the negative (-) cable first, for safety reasons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a Volt meter? Know where the battery is? If both are yes, use the meter to measure the battery with the key off, then with the key on. Off, a fully charged battery should be 12.6V, or a bit more (depends on the accuracy of the meter). Key on, it should remain very near that; if it drops more than about 1V, the battery is failing. While you are looking at the battery, try to move the heavy wires attached to it; they should not slide around at all. There should also be little crud built up on them at the battery.

Or, you could remove the battery and take it to a store that sells batteries, and ask them to test it. WARNING: remove the negative (-) cable first, for safety reasons.

Thanks a lot i'll take a look at that then and see what I can do! ill let you know how it goes. thank you again

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Yep, sounds like a battery problem. Do you keep it on a battery maintainer like a Battery Tender Jr. or similar device? The Street bikes haven't been out that long so really should still have a good battery if maintained properly with a maintainer. If you don't have one get one. They do make batteries last much longer. But you could have a failing battery or just have loose connections. They do vibrate loose occasionally. Also be sure to check the ground cable at both ends making sure there is no corrosion as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts