Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Honda 1100. Bike starts, runs great. When stopped for lunch and bike cools off it started right up. When I stopped for gas it will not start. Once or twice it started after several tries. Stopped for lunch on a Tuesday ride and ended up push starting it. Battery is less than 8 months old (not a cheapie).

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
LOL! How many other ways can we ask the same question?? Sorry guys, I just thought it was kind of funny.

I'm betting it turns and cranks but just won't start and run. My bike did that a few times and we finally determined it was the "new" spark plugs we got from the Yamaha dealer. We put the old NGK plugs back in and no more issues. I had spark with both but apparently the NGK had a hotter spark.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
the only time I've ever experienced anything like this was on an older car....if I tried to start it before it cooled, no go....wait 20 min. and it would fire up....mine turned out to be a loose wire to the starter from the battery.....so I would suggest at least check your battery cables at the battery and starter

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I had this same issue with my '85 Honda Sabre. I would pull into a store to grab a pack of smokes and then kill the battery trying to start it. Mine turned out to be starter brushes that were worn out and would not engage the starter when it was hot. I was going to fix it but totaled it instead.

·
American Legion Rider
18,660 Posts
That's not the way to get rid of a bike. I know, I've been there too.:D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Actually, it may have been one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. I was young and invincible. I had little understanding of what l was doing, l wasn't conscientious about safety, and l was doing stupid things like seeing if l could do 100 mph, just to say l had done 100 mph, at 3 o'clock in the morning in the dark on I-5. Then, in a very unremarkable manner, a guy ran me off the road, l jumped off the bike to save my ass and he wasted it. Never saw me, he said. Scared me just enough to take the insurance money and buy a pickup truck and wait 20 years to get back on a bike :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the bike cranks over just fine it just won't start. Nothing has been changed on the bike including the spark plugsand I always use premium gas

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Just for giggles, take out out for a ride until it doesn't want to start. Remove the gas cap, replace it, then try to start it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts