Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming to the end of summer here down under and this weekend was perfect, blue skies, no clouds, mid to high 20s (deg C, mid 70s to mid 80s F).

So on Saturday, I took my wife on the pillion for a ride up country to a small town beside a river, we had a coffee at the pub overlooking the river with ducks and geese swimming by, and rode home. Lovely, relaxed day. We're limited to how far we can ride, but it was great to have a ride together, chatting away on the headsets and passing through some lovely countryside.

The next morning she asked whether I'd like to go out for a long ride on my own, she can only ride so far. So I checked if there were any group rides in the area and the Red Knights M/C (fire fighters and paramedics M/C) north of the city had a charity ride to raise money for the local burns unit. I was running short of time so I threw my ATGATT on and rode off. Met up with a group riding north to the charity ride and rode the rest of the way with them. The ride was from one rural fire station to the next, not a long ride, but there were maybe 300 bikes there. The Red Knights, the Patriots (ex Defence Force M/C), Ulysses, HOG chapters. We had a cuppa and a snack at the first fire station, then rode up to the next fire station where the fire service volunteers had organised a BBQ (steak sandwiches, hot dogs) and drinks.

Wonderfully organised event, the ride was led by the station's SUV and quad bike with their lights flashing, they had all turns manned by fire fighters who stopped the traffic on the main road and waved the bikes across, must've raised thousands of dollars for the burns unit. Well done the Fire fighters at Kaiwaka and Waipu, Northland, New Zealand.

And such lovely country to ride through, some nice hills through the bush with their fair share of curves, great day out for a good cause. And such enjoyment to have such a ride on the spur of the moment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad you have enjoyable end of summer there. Seen on the news about the typhoon that devastated Fiji, keep safe out there.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Well, "Winter" in Queensland (for example) means 50 - 60º,(10 - 20ºC right?) as opposed to 100º F (35ºC right?)!!

So, it's not like "Winter" is stopping riding!! (lol)

Do New Zealand Temps run about the same as the Aussie's?

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Depends what part of Aussie, Soupy. Up north in tropical Queensland winter is the riding season, 25 deg C (mid 70s deg F) no humidity no rain. Summer is hell 35 to 40 deg C (95 to 105 deg F), humidity 95%, can rain for weeks and then there's always the chance of a cyclone (hurricane).

Down south in Victoria and South Australia it gets quite cold in winter, cold blasts straight off the southern ocean, and can get really hot in the summer, 35 to 40 deg C, if the wind comes from the north across the outback deserts.

New Zealand is quite temperate, geologically we are diametrically opposite Spain but we're a small island surrounded by water. So up north where I am, mid to high 20s deg C (70s to low 80s deg F) is the norm over summer and it goes down to low single digit highs occaissionally over winter. Winter is rain, further south it's snow. But I ride all year round, have a light mesh jacket for summer and a thicker jacket for winter, in summer I wear Draggin jeans, in winter I wear armoured over trousers. You can ride up here in the north all year round with only the lightest wet weather gear.

And the roads, the food, the friendly natives. You've got to ride down here to believe them.

Yeah, gripgear, we're keeping a close eye on cyclone Winstone too. It's the strongest cyclone ever recorded in the southern hemisphere and there's word that it's taking a southerly turn and that's right where New Zealand is. It should lose some of it's power if it reaches here, but it's been displaying gusts up to 315 km/hr (200 mph) so even a fraction of that power would be problematic down here. This is all a result of warmer tropical seas, cyclones feed on the warm waters. And sea temperatures are getting warmer, even if only by a degree or two, it's all energy that is fed into a cyclone/typhoon or hurricane (same things, different areas of the globe).

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Back in the late 60's I darn near packed up and moved to Australia. One of those if you have a trade we'll give you land if you come and start your trade. To this day I'm honestly not sure I made the right decision except for the fact the USA is darn hard to beat. But I do wonder. I certainly ended up moving a lot anyway.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I think there would have been a language clash anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts