Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I started a few months ago on a Honda Rebel 250, but I am a big girl and felt silly real fast on such a small bike and I was too scared to do interstate riding on it. A month ago I moved up to. Suzuki VL800 Intruder. It's much more fun for me and a better fit. I would love to someday move up to a Honda VTX1300, they are so sexy!
I started on a Rebel and moved to a Honda VTX1300 ...other than trying to move it around on my uphill stone driveway I love it.

·
Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,624 Posts
I hope you ladies realize you make any bike look better. That's just something I've noticed over the years. Don't really know why that is but I bet I'm not the only one that has noticed that. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
I started on a Yamaha 650 Vstar Classic....ran that for 39K miles and the moved up to a 1300 Venture Royal Star with the fairing, hard bags, and trunk...so can travel more...first year I had it put on 10K miles...

I just started riding in 2008...I love it!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
116 Posts
The wife was riding a Victory Cross roads until 2 weeks ago when she got hit totaling the bike. We went to the shop today to salvage a few add on's and she is now considering a Victory Vision lowered with the tour trunk removed. It will be a few more weeks before she can ride again because of a broken collarbone.

·
28,624 Posts
Good for her. An accident that bad could have easily scared her from ever riding again. She really does need to get back on that horse. If only for a little bit. Glad she is up to it. It is so easy to walk away from something you like because of someone else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good for her. An accident that bad could have easily scared her from ever riding again. She really does need to get back on that horse. If only for a little bit. Glad she is up to it. It is so easy to walk away from something you like because of someone else.
She will get back on as soon as she is able to. She is going to try riding on back next weekend with me. If it feels ok she will ride to Colorado the following weekend. If it doesn't go well, we will trailer the bike.

She loves to ride as much as I do and this little hiccup in the road is a minor annoyance to her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first street bike was an 1800 sporty. I loved it till my boyfriend made me ride his heritage softail home one day. He lost his bike that day! After riding the sporty I felt like I was riding a cadillac. I found the heavier bike was actually easier to balance and maneuver.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up a 1983 Honda Nighthawk CB650SC. It's my first bike of my own, although I've been on my boyfriend's Ducati a good number of times before that.

So far so good with my Hawk, shifts smooth, is easy for me to control, no scary power until 7,000RPM. It's a little heavy, but it's not over bearing. I'm adjusting to the weight and height difference from the Ducati just fine. My only complaint is how low it leans over when I put the stand down, it always makes me think its going to tip :p

·
Premium Member
11,023 Posts
Bike

I was going to give Mrs Snippets my 650 twin Suzuki, but she said she was happy to be a passenger, and prefers the old Yamaha.

The ladies I see riding are on Honda Shadows, the Suzuki 650 single, and Harley Sportsters. Although last week there was a tall lady on one of the bigger Harleys. She looked like the Jamie lady that works for Cycle World.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I ride:)

I started on an 883 harley sporster and about 1 1/2 years ago I moved up to a Heritage. 1st one was a 94 Heritage but last October I had to lay her down and that totaled her out:( I broke my arm in the process. I got a new 2008 Heritage. I have to admit I was really scared to get back in the saddle but I've been making myself get there and I'm so glad I did:):) I miss "Wind Therapy" . I love it!! I do have to admit I think I like my 2008 better than my 1994.

·
28,624 Posts
Can you answer a question then drish since you've had both. I've always said that a Sportster(883) is not a good first bike because they are top heavy. A softtail(Heritage) would be a much better choice. You've been there. What do you say?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The difference

My first bike was an 883. It was sitting low enough for me to be flat footed and sit comfortably in the seat. Yes it was alittle top heavy but I personally think it was a good bike to learn on. I got comfortable riding, shifting gears, clutching, stopping ect. For me it was a good bike to get comfortable with the basics 101 of riding. Little Missy had some poop to her so I could keep up with the old man and friends:) But now with my Heritage:):) Would I ever go back??? Hell no! It would be like riding the little sports car. Why do that when I can cruise in my caddilac? And I do think its allot more comfortable.:) So would I advise a newby to start on a sporster? Yea I think would:)

·
28,624 Posts
That's good enough for me. I know when I'm out numbered and proven to be a chicken.:D I started on a little 185 and thought I had way to much. I think it was shortly after I go my first Electra Glide that the 883 came out and I even said then, I'm glad that thing didn't come out sooner. It just felt so top heavy to me compared to the EG. Aways did say women have more...hmm...guts than men.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just joined today & saw this thread, so here it goes:

My first bike was a 1983 Yamaha Heritage Special.

During my senior year in college, I used my student loans & bought a brand new '95 Honda Shadow VT600 (better interest rates!). That bike was my only source of transportation for well over 6 years.

Three years ago I bought a 2006 Honda 919, which I sold in March.

Since then I have been riding a 1991 Hawk 650 GT, which has been on loan.
This bike has been such a blast, I decided I needed my own ;-) Next week I'm going down to LA to pick up a 1990 Hawk GT, which I plan to ride back up to Oakland.

Thanks for having me!

Sam

·
Registered
3 Posts
First bike was a 1977 Suzuki GS550 - loved it, but it had electrical problems, and I had no experience on how to fix it. Sold it to an Army dude, and bought a used 2003 Suzuki Marauder. Dumped it and cracked 2 ribs (it was too much for me, but I let myself get talked into it) and gave the bike to my husband. After healing, I bought a 1995 Virago XV535 and got a good amount of experience and confidence over a couple of years. Sold that to one of my husbands friends as a learning bike, and bought a Suzuki Gladius - which I absolutely love.
juliec614

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Like Eye, I will answer for Caryn. She started out on a Harley Sportster for a season with little time on it and then went without a bike for a few years. Then she picked up a meticulous 1974 CB360 that was much better suited to her. Sold it to put braces on one of the boys. Then I gave her an 2002 SV650 standard and she still has it today.

.facebook_-80551845 by kodacoyote, on Flickr

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.