Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many riders have been chased by a dog or two while out on a tour of the countryside. A Banff, Alberta rider was actually chased by a wolf recently, and he has the pictures to prove it.

The wolf chased rider Tim Bartlett as he was testing out his new motorcycle in Kootenay National Park last Saturday. He quickly outran the wolf, then decided to get his camera out, turn around and see if he could get some pictures of the motorcycle-hunting canine.

The wolf had jumped a concrete barrier, and Bartlett thought he was gone. "But as soon as I got to where that was, it jumped back, and the chase was on," said Bartlett.

"It sort of sped up initially; it gave a real good burst of speed," said Bartlett. "And then after that it just trotted along beside me, but it probably got within three or four meters."

The wolf ran alongside the motorcycle for about a kilometer then, out of breath, stopped and walked off into the woods. Bartlett had plenty of time to snap some photos. "I got six really good shots and ... the one that came in nice and close, he had his ears pinned right back and he was in full gallop," he said. "It looked really cool."

Michelle Macullo of Parks Canada said this is not normal behavior for a wolf. They are usually so shy of humans that they are often difficult to even spot. "If people see animals roadside and if they are… being aggressive or doing things like pursuing folks, we need for people to call us because the more information we have, and the sooner they call, the sooner we can go and investigate," said Macullo.

Bartlett did the right thing and contacted the authorities to make a report.

[CBCNews]

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I was a kid I would spend alot of time in the woods near my house. A friend and I would catch salmon in a stream and cook us some good eatins for lunch. Well we would leave the entrails for the local wild life to consume and eventually found a wolf keeping an eye on us. It eventually got brave enough to get within 5 or 6 feet of us (1.5 to 2 meters) if we had a fish for him. Never did get to touch him, he would take the fish and run off a few and munch it down. We named him Buck.

Massey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool Story Greaat Pics!

Great photos very interesting story I guess you looked like some drive by lunch and it was hungry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Amazing pics,am kind of jealous of the guy to be honest,no Wolves down here in NZ.No doubt they cause problems but ive always had a soft spot for them.

·
Roamer
176 Posts
These are amazing photos. Glad it was a friendly encounter. Maybe he was looking for a new pack member. I would have been waaay to scared to take pictures.

I think the gray wolf is off the endangered species list. I know there are legal wolf hunts in Wisconsin, and have been for a few years now.

Not sure if it's still protected in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
6,326 Posts
The importance of looking in your mirrors behind you....man I would have never thought that some of the animals would chase you down like that...sometimes I am just putting through state/national parks if there is no one around...stop and take photos....this makes me more aware.
Thanks for sharing :wink:

·
Registered
468 Posts
One time I had just made a left turn on my XT and was up to about 20 mph when a possum ran under me, in between my wheels. I think I felt my rear wheel run over his tail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts