·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time posting, long time rider.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I have a 2001 V-star 650 custom.
At some point, it started to have this strange wobble/vibration from side to side in the handle bars when you get to around 70km. It doesn't cause the bike to lose control or affect its cornering ability/handling. (More annoying when travelling at speed)

At speed if I loosen my grip or remove my hands from the bars, you can visually see the bars moving side to side. I have done the same thing on a friends 1100 Vstar and it is perfectly smooth. (same as my bike used to be)

I have had a new tire put on and balanced. I thought that would fix the issue, thinking the tire was out of balance. (no help)
I have read some where that the brake rotor could be warped. However I do not get a pulsing in the brake lever (similar to the brake pedal in a car pulsing).

I have replaced the fork seals recently and did not notice anything strange about the axle bolt, triple tree etc.

Anyone have some insight on what it could be or where I should be looking?

Thank you for any help and advice.
COVVBOY

·
Registered
454 Posts
Steering stem bearing maybe. I would hope the wheel bearing would have been checked when replacing the tire. Make sure tire pressure is correct also. Could make difference. Only way to check rotor properly is with a dial indicator

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Does the wheel run true? That's a spoked wheel, it's quite possible to have it warped out of shape by loose or tight spokes. Jack up the bike, spin the wheel with something set up close alongside the rim and see if it wobbles..if it does you need to adjust the spokes to true the wheel. You can find more info googling the process, or bring it to someone who can do it for you.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,329 Posts
Welcome to the forum:wink2:

This is another very recent post about a V-star 650 wobbling and vibrating:surprise:

There is a Yamaha V-star forum that I belong to, as I had a new 2012 V-star 1300T not long ago. You may get more answers there.:smile:

I always start with the most simple thing, like: Tires, their condition and pressure. Front axle tightness. Check Front and rear wheel bearings. Tighten the triple tree fork clamps. Tighten steering head bearings. Tighten handlebars. In fact, a 2001 bike is ready to have everything tightened:smile_big:

Apparently you have done all of this easy stuff so maybe the frame and or swingarm is bent and the front and rear wheels are out of alignment??:surprise:

The final drive is by Shaft and rarely causes trouble but I guess it could vibrate a bit if worn out.

Have fun! Sam:nerd:

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
Does the wheel run true? That's a spoked wheel, it's quite possible to have it warped out of shape by loose or tight spokes. Jack up the bike, spin the wheel with something set up close alongside the rim and see if it wobbles..if it does you need to adjust the spokes to true the wheel. You can find more info googling the process, or bring it to someone who can do it for you.
If this is an issue do not be intimidated. I had this problem and when I took the bike to a local shop they said nobody trues spoke wheels because its too time consuming. By the time you cover the labor charges it's cheaper to replace the wheel. That can only be described as a LOAD OF [email protected] I went home, watched one youtube video, taped a carpenters square to the front fork as a gauge and had the wheel trued in less then 30 minutes. It just ain't hard to do.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,329 Posts
Don't forget to TAP all of the spokes with a nail to hear them sing the same TUNE. This is a very important step.:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I`ll check some of these suggestions out this weekend when I get a day off.
@cc rider, I have no idea if the bearings were checked when the tire was replaced. The wobble and vibration started some time after I had the tires replaced. I have a motorcycle jack, so I'll definitely check that out.
@mike721, good idea, I'll check that out. @Major Sphincter, good idea with the carpenters square. You wouldn't happen to have the link for the video you used?
@Porky, I didn't think of the triple tree fork clamps or the steering head bearings. The swing arm/frame should not be bent. I have owned the bike since new and have always had service done by a mechanic, until a month ago when I replaced the fork seals myself. (the wobble was long before this). I have not hit any major bone jarring bumps or ever downed the bike. So those I think I can rule out. I'll certainly check that the front and rear tires are in alignment.
Would a worn drive shaft cause only the front of the bike to shutter? Wouldn't it cause the whole bike shutter? No?
@Porky, I'll start with something musically simple on the spokes like "chopsticks" before I move up to " Mozart's Piano Concerto No.21 - Andante" :smile_big:

Thank you all again,
COVVBOY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts