Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my Basic Riders Course this morning. I'm gonna need all the luck I can. Yesterday was a bad day. I almost hung the keys up for the bike. I was rounding a very sharp turn and had signaled to the driver behind me (who was a good distance away, I thought) that I would be slowing down by tapping the brakes a bit. I slowed down about 10 miles an hour, to about 35. This is deadmans corner as it is called in our town. I throttle out of the corner and look back to see how far away driver is from me. What I seen in my mirror scared the crap out of me. Seen what I thought at the time was her car hitting the rock wall and shatter into hundreds of pieces. At this time, I'm thinking that I had slowed down too much and she had slammed on brakes or something. Now I'm shaking, thinking I may have been the cause (not legally at fault, but the cause). I notice another group of bikes coming down the road on the other side, I speed up a bit to warn them, cause they would have no way out once getting into that corner. I didn't think it would be a good idea to stop, but I knew there was a cop up on the bridge doing traffic control for construction. Let him know and proceed to go to PD to report what I thought I saw.

Spent the next couple of hours just feeling really bad. Got a call from the officer investigating the accident. It turns out to be that there was two cars involved. What I didn't see (or not remember seeing, probably just wasn't anything special to remember)was there was another car coming down the otherside of the road and when he rounded the corner, took the corner to wide and slammed into the car behind me. What was scary for me now was my daughter was supposed to be following me, but the little sneak jumped out ahead of me in the driveway and got out first. Now I'm sorry someone else got hurt, but glad it wasn't my daughter or my fault for the accident. I couldn't ride the bike home from the PD cause I was shaking so much.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You really don't have control of what people do behind you. Signalling your intentions (flash brake light when slowing down and use your turn signals) is about all there is to do. The rest is on them.

What days does your class run on?

Good luck with the BRC. Be sure to ask questions as they come up in the class.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Rule #1 - People do stupid crap
Rule #2 - Nothing we do can stop rule #1

Sorry about the accident, but you have no control over other peoples actions. Take the class, enjoy it, ask questions, practice and manage the risk as best you can.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Class runs on mostly rebels. But they have a little bit of other bikes mixed in. So far so good. Eating lunch then its range time.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
So glad you and your daughter weren't involved.

Enjoy the class! Learning the slow maneuvers is great but learning how to watch ahead and think about the "what ifs" is even more valuable.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So glad you and your daughter weren't involved.

Enjoy the class! Learning the slow maneuvers is great but learning how to watch ahead and think about the "what ifs" is even more valuable.
They do slow maneuvers at an advanced riding course?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First day was really fun. 1/2 classroom and 1/2 range time, same for tomorrow. I strongly suggest them. Even the ones coming in with years of experience had troubles with the slow maneuvers. There was a couple people with absolutely no riding experience at all. I was thankful to have some experience. One thing I can suggest. Leave the bikes at home, unless you are doing the advanced classes, cause you will be so exhausted, the thought of getting on a bike at the end of day well, lets just say it would be hard...... Did learn alot. Always keep your eyes on where you want to go. Your turns get so much better when you are looking at the exit rather than just whats in front of you. The weaving through the cones where a little frightful, but it gets easier as you go along. Looking forward to tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really don't have control of what people do behind you. Signalling your intentions (flash brake light when slowing down and use your turn signals) is about all there is to do. The rest is on them.

What days does your class run on?

Good luck with the BRC. Be sure to ask questions as they come up in the class.
My classes run today(all over now), tomorrow 8-4 and 1/2 day friday. When I first read this post this morning, I thought you had asked what type of cycles the class used. Oopps, guess I was just excited...

I had a ton of questions for the instructor. If he doesn't retire after me, he's an angel......Very very helpful. The patience this man had with the class was just amazing in my book.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Believe it or not, patience is a required trait to coach new riders.

I've always thought that the instructors that are calm and patient usually get the best results. They are the ones I like to team up with anyway. :D

Our courses start Friday night for classroom and continue Saturday and Sunday with a mix of range and classroom.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
First day was really fun. 1/2 classroom and 1/2 range time, same for tomorrow. I strongly suggest them. Even the ones coming in with years of experience had troubles with the slow maneuvers. There was a couple people with absolutely no riding experience at all. I was thankful to have some experience. One thing I can suggest. Leave the bikes at home, unless you are doing the advanced classes, cause you will be so exhausted, the thought of getting on a bike at the end of day well, lets just say it would be hard...... Did learn alot. Always keep your eyes on where you want to go. Your turns get so much better when you are looking at the exit rather than just whats in front of you. The weaving through the cones where a little frightful, but it gets easier as you go along. Looking forward to tomorrow.
I can't agree with leaving the bike at home. I really enjoyed my ride home each day when I took the BRC. I had ridden for over 40 years before I took the course and riding is always therapeutic for me. Weaving is fun if you just relax. Keep your eyes out front and just do it. If you focus on the cones it is much harder to do.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna have to take the bike today. I opened up a soda I had left in the car. I was so thirsty, I wasn't thinking of the consequences. The soda exploded all over the inside and outside of my car. Got smart and froze a few Powerades for todays class. Rush hour on the road class is on is murder, but I'm jumping off the first side road I come to and find my way home :) I did find it much easier when I stopped looking at the cones and just looked straight ahead. The instructor made it look so freaking easy when she did the demo ride. The weaving between the cones is something I'm going to keep practicing on at home because it will help if I ever find the need to get through road conditions where there may be alot of debris in the road. Or avoiding the neverending potholes..We did each lesson in first, then second gear. Found out that it was easier to do in second gear cause it took away some of the power, but was easier to get a smoother ride with more speed. I'm glad that our state requires these courses.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The weaving between the cones is something I'm going to keep practicing on at home because it will help if I ever find the need to get through road conditions where there may be alot of debris in the road.
A few times when I've found myself on a nice deserted straight stretch of highway I will slow down and "practice" my slalom weaving technique, using the painted dashes on the middle of the road :wink:

Then I'll speed up a bit to see how fast I can go & still keep weaving through the dashes :D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had fun with the weaving today. It's so much easier with a bit more gas and looking straight ahead. Didn't miss one today. But I had major trouble with the figure 8. I got one tear drop done but lost my bearings doing the second one. Didn't drop the bike or anything, but went way to wide. But I did the S curves okay, only once had to put my foot down. I was in tears by the third time trying the "box". Instructor calmed me down a bit and said he knew I understood the concept and that he hasn't seen anything that would "fail" me on the skills test. I got 100 percent on the written test, which is something to be proud of. My favorite part of the day was doing the run over the board exercise. I "accidently" went around the track one more time cause I was having so much fun lifting up my tushy and twerking the throttle....Big ole smile on my face. My skills test is tommorow morning, hoping I pass, but I know the figure 8 is going to be on it....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,331 Posts
Don't think about it just do it. Look where you are going and not where you are and you will be fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts