Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to take a ride today and my bike wouldn't even try to turn over. All my lights work (headlight, turn signals, indicator lights, etc) but when I hit the start button, nothing. I put my voltmeter on the batter and it didn't register, so I charged it for a few hours and it registered a strong 12V, but still it won't start. When I hit the start button the headlight turns off, so I assume that means the start button is functioning properly. I've had a couple of instances where the run switch seemed to not engage, but I could always flip it a couple of times and get it going. So, my first question is, with the key turned to on, the run switch on, and the start button held in, I'm not getting any voltage when I measure across the main fuse and I assume that's bad, right? Actually, the previous owner removed the main fuse and wired in a circuit breaker that hasn't caused me any problems so far and I connected my voltmeter up to the posts on the breaker and also the connectors where the fuse would normally go, but no reading in either location. So, should I be getting a reading across there if it isn't trying to start or is that normal if there's a problem somewhere else? If so, any ideas where I should start looking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I'm clearly not smart enough to properly work a voltmeter. After connecting the probes properly, I do get voltage across the circuit breaker, so that's not my problem. Any pointers on where to look would still be greatly appreciated. Would the start button still cause the headlight to dim even if the run switch isn't working properly?

Thanks.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I would check the voltage at the starter itself. If you are getting power there, it could be the starter.

There is also the possibility that the battery has enough amperage to light the lights, but not enough to turn the engine. You could try to jump start (make sure to turn off the vehicle you are starting from first) to see if it's a battery problem.

Also check and make sure the battery connections are very snug and clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts