Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to get a new ignition switch wired up correctly on my 1978 Honda CB400 Hawk 2.

The switch is one of those "auto" style, or more accurately, boat ignition switches that turns the bike on in the first position and turns over the motor in the second position.

So I've removed the old ignition switch and starter button and wired it up to the new switch. Everything seems fine, except my turn signals don't work correctly. The left blinker blinks fine, but doesn't light up the blinker indicator on the new speedo I'm also installing. The right blinker doesn't blink at all, it just stays lit solid, but the speedo blinker indicator does light up.

The switch is currently wired as such.

Switch--->Bike (1978 Honda CB400 Hawk 2)

Red Power in (+) --BIKE-->Red
Purple keyed power out (+) --BIKE--> Black & Red/Black (from old starter button) & Brown
Yellow/red to starter selonoid (+) --BIKE--> Red/Yellow
Optional
Black ground (-) Green --BIKE--> not using
Black/yellow – key off – grounded (-) Green --BIKE--> not using
Yellow/Black – key push in – power out (+) --BIKE--> not using
Purple/white – no power while cranking --BIKE--> not using

I would post a link to wiring diagram, but I don't have the street cred to do that. But if there are any Honda repair experts out there who could shed some light on what I should be looking to accomplish, that I have failed to accomplish.

There's a new speedo and a new kill switch that is part of this project. The kill switch shouldn't be a factor, but perhaps the replacement of the old speedo and old bulbs with a new speedo and leds, could be a factor. Or that I wired up something backwards on the speedo. The reason I don't think the speedo is an issue here is because the blinkers do the aforementioned behavior without the speedo wired up.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
get a wiring diagram, and trace all the circuits, that have to do with the blinker relay, and the power on from the switch to the blinkers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turned out to not be a problem

It wasn't really an issue. I just wasn't getting a enough power without the bike running and the battery low to charge the winker blinker.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Dumb question, but are both bulbs working on that side?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts