Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bikes power would flicker on and off so I went to wiggle the 4 wires that went into the bottom of the ignition and one of them broke.. Now the bike has no power and the broken end is deep in the ignition and I have no way of getting to it to repair the wire...

What are my options...

I'm so pissed off

Can I buy a new ignition? I see some on ebay for like 30.00?

Why is it like 300.00+ to replace a motorcycle ignition.. I don't understand.. My mechanic says it's about 100.00 in labor? That would make a new ignition 200.00 yet I see them ALL OVER ebay for 30-40.. even as low as 20

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Expect to pay full retail for parts when buying from the mechanic and at least $100 an hour for labor.

They might be willing to install used parts for a discount, but are going to be less likely to guarantee the work.

I'm not sure what model you are working on, but you can probably pick up a manual that will show you how to open the ignition to replace the wire for less than the cost of the repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an r6.. Even my mechanic says he doesn't know if he will be able to get inside of it... He says they make it extremely hard for theft reasons... So i'm screwed idk what to do...

Is it possible to buy a new ignition and just keep my stock one in the handlebars and wire the new one somewhere else and just kind of put it somewhere and mount it? Is that a possibility?

·
Ace Tuner
2,933 Posts
It's an r6.. Even my mechanic says he doesn't know if he will be able to get inside of it... He says they make it extremely hard for theft reasons... So i'm screwed idk what to do...

Is it possible to buy a new ignition and just keep my stock one in the handlebars and wire the new one somewhere else and just kind of put it somewhere and mount it? Is that a possibility?
Yes, that could be done.
Depending on where you put it theft might be a problem. (If a guy knows the wiring, snip, snip, zoom, zoom).

The factory mounting uses 'break-away' bolts as a theft deterrent. You have to drill them out to replace the Ign switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts