Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a lot of people are talking about putting away their bikes for the Winter soon. I was thinking that maybe we could have a nice conversation about Winterization, what needs to be done and whether or not a person needs to do certain things based on what the weather in their area is.

I am hoping to be able to ride some this Winter, there are usually some stretches here where it gets cold and clear. It will almost certainly get down into the 20's a few times. What should l do to my bike if l am still planning on riding it for that occasion when the weather allows it?

Also, could someone please explain the full Winterization process if l was to shut it down until Spring? That would be great to know :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
"Winterizing a Motorcycle" returns a wikihow on google that is spot on to what I have to to cars and off-road vehicles alike each winter they sit.

Pretty much comes down to an oil change, wash, fuel stabilization, plugging of holes, lifting wheels off the ground (centerstand and front spool stand/spool stands for both F/R), and trickle charging of the battery. The idea is that in the spring when it comes time to ride again you just unplug the holes and go out for a ride!

Periodic starts and stops of the engine with no real road riding is NOT good for the bike.

I like to look at the winterization as the time to do your yearly check that everything is up to par on the bike. Is there any upgrades that should be done?

If you would consider riding during the wintertime then you need to make sure you wear the appropriate gear and let the tires get nice and warm before any spirited riding. Your risk of loss of traction increases substantially. Being that you are in Oregon, I would put it up for winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I do an oil change and a fuel stabilizer but I only do half of the stabilizer because I still ride as often as I can.
I like to watch the weather and if it shows that we will have a nice day I cover the bike and put a space heater under it all night so it doesn't have to start so cold. Another thing I do is if it gets under 20 degrees or so I pull the batt unless I'm going riding the next day. Greetings from Montana

·
Nightfly
4,035 Posts
So a lot of people are talking about putting away their bikes for the Winter soon. I was thinking that maybe we could have a nice conversation about Winterization, what needs to be done and whether or not a person needs to do certain things based on what the weather in their area is.

I am hoping to be able to ride some this Winter, there are usually some stretches here where it gets cold and clear. It will almost certainly get down into the 20's a few times. What should l do to my bike if l am still planning on riding it for that occasion when the weather allows it?

Also, could someone please explain the full Winterization process if l was to shut it down until Spring? That would be great to know :)
It's been talked to death, give it rest.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Winterizing a Motorcycle" returns a wikihow on google that is spot on to what I have to to cars and off-road vehicles alike each winter they sit.

Pretty much comes down to an oil change, wash, fuel stabilization, plugging of holes, lifting wheels off the ground (centerstand and front spool stand/spool stands for both F/R), and trickle charging of the battery. The idea is that in the spring when it comes time to ride again you just unplug the holes and go out for a ride!

Periodic starts and stops of the engine with no real road riding is NOT good for the bike.

I like to look at the winterization as the time to do your yearly check that everything is up to par on the bike. Is there any upgrades that should be done?

If you would consider riding during the wintertime then you need to make sure you wear the appropriate gear and let the tires get nice and warm before any spirited riding. Your risk of loss of traction increases substantially. Being that you are in Oregon, I would put it up for winter.
Thanks for the input. I am in Washington, but it makes little difference. There are a lot of people here who ride all Winter, rain or shine. I don't plan to be that ambitious. I would like to get out a few times though. Without fail, every Winter here there are a few times where it gets back into the 50's and is sunny, the city comes to life, people wear shorts...and l want to ride when it happens!

A couple of questions...is the stabilizer good for a certain amount of time, is that why you don't use as much? Can you not ride for that amount of time?

Should l change my oil before the Winter even if it isn't oil change time?

Why do you get the wheels up off the ground?

My bike is under cover and stays dry, but is not in a garage.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do an oil change and a fuel stabilizer but I only do half of the stabilizer because I still ride as often as I can.
I like to watch the weather and if it shows that we will have a nice day I cover the bike and put a space heater under it all night so it doesn't have to start so cold. Another thing I do is if it gets under 20 degrees or so I pull the batt unless I'm going riding the next day. Greetings from Montana
I have my battery on a tender, should l not continue to do that when it gets really cold? Does this change whether or not you pull the battery off the bike?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you should say that...l was looking for a thread, because l was sure there would be a thread or twelve on the subject, but l couldn't find one. They must be buried, or l looked in the wrong place. You'll have to forgive my ignorance...l haven't been here through a Winter yet. I have never Winterized a bike before. If you could point me in that direction l would really appreciate it!

I was actually thinking that we should have this topic as an always-open thread that sits at the top, just like the oil/lubrication thread. Then guys like me wouldn't drive guys like you nuts :)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
As to the question of the oil change before Winter -vs- after Winter............I asked that question of a number of folks, and the averages weigh heavier to doing it AFTER Winter, than before (not for nothin, but........)

As for Stabil........that's a given.

I've heard lots of things about Winterization, including pouring some liquid (don't remember what. WD40? Oil?) in the Cylindars and re-inserting the plugs...........stuff like that.

Check YouTube. There are ton of videos and varied opinions about the topic.

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Also not to confuse the issue, I've noticed as battery tenders become more and more popular, more manufacturers are starting to make and sell them. Lets just say you get what you pay for. I've seen where batteries have been overcharged by less expensive tenders, ruining a good battery and leaking battery acid all over someone's prized motorcycle or snowmobile. Myself, every few weeks I'll plug the tenders in and then unplug them when I get a green light.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Winterization...........you'll get into the chevy vs ford debate......you'll get different answers from different people. Some say to pull the battery others say its ok to leave the battery attached. Either way is probably ok.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Just my two cents here: I do very little and have done so for over 30 years without any ill effects. I add Stabl to a full tank and run the engine for 5 minutes. I hook up the Battery Tender. I stuff steel wool or rags into the exhaust pipes. I cover the bike and wait until Spring. Takes me all of 10 minutes and every year the bike runs fine when I start it up in the Spring. No oil change, no lifting wheels off the ground, no removal of the battery, no cleaning (unless the bike was REALLY dirty). And no over thinking about the process.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Just my two cents here: I do very little and have done so for over 30 years without any ill effects. I add Stabl to a full tank and run the engine for 5 minutes. I hook up the Battery Tender. I stuff steel wool or rags into the exhaust pipes. I cover the bike and wait until Spring. Takes me all of 10 minutes and every year the bike runs fine when I start it up in the Spring. No oil change, no lifting wheels off the ground, no removal of the battery, no cleaning (unless the bike was REALLY dirty). And no over thinking about the process.
That has worked fine for me as well.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Really? If you have nothing to add, why bother commenting at all? It's not like you are paying for the unlimited amount of bandwidth. Myself, the search is a waste of my time, and anyway, since the last time it was brought up, there may be new chemicals out that work better than the last ones posted.

I just make sure the tank is full of non-ethanol gas when I put it in the barn. The only bike I use stabil on is the old carbed Honda, and along with the stabil, I add a couple capfulls of Seafoam. Forty years later and it has started every spring but one and there is not a spot of rust in the tank. I never pick the bike up, the first time you ride it in the warmer weather, the tires will straighten out in just a couple miles. I may move them around a little bit too, seems they are always in the way when I have something to do in the barn.

I used a tender last year on the Honda battery, it was in the basement so it didn't get that cold. It's the only wet battery I have left anymore.

When there is a warmer day during the winter, I will start the bikes up and ride them around the block, it's a 24 mile ride, then I refill them with gas.

·
Nightfly
4,035 Posts
Really? If you have nothing to add, why bother commenting at all? It's not like you are paying for the unlimited amount of bandwidth. Myself, the search is a waste of my time, and anyway, since the last time it was brought up, there may be new chemicals out that work better than the last ones posted.

I just make sure the tank is full of non-ethanol gas when I put it in the barn. The only bike I use stabil on is the old carbed Honda, and along with the stabil, I add a couple capfulls of Seafoam. Forty years later and it has started every spring but one and there is not a spot of rust in the tank. I never pick the bike up, the first time you ride it in the warmer weather, the tires will straighten out in just a couple miles. I may move them around a little bit too, seems they are always in the way when I have something to do in the barn.

I used a tender last year on the Honda battery, it was in the basement so it didn't get that cold. It's the only wet battery I have left anymore.

When there is a warmer day during the winter, I will start the bikes up and ride them around the block, it's a 24 mile ride, then I refill them with gas.

Sure is easy to rile some people up over nothing, take a break...

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Why, it's people like you that keep less informed people from asking questions to get helpful information. Once again, you have nothing to add to the conversation.

You don't rile me, you do attempt to intimidate others though with your unnecessary gibberish, and that is not necessary. Obviously there are a lot of good people here that want to give assistance to others, you are not one of them.

Don't forget to give the bike a good wash and wax, also a good way to find little problems that need attention.

·
Nightfly
4,035 Posts
Why, it's people like you that keep less informed people from asking questions to get helpful information. Once again, you have nothing to add to the conversation.

You don't rile me, you do attempt to intimidate others though with your unnecessary gibberish, and that is not necessary. Obviously there are a lot of good people here that want to give assistance to others, you are not one of them.

Don't forget to give the bike a good wash and wax, also a good way to find little problems that need attention.
You are an angry person aren't you... I've intimidated no one. It would seem your anger is an extension of your insecurities. You're right, there is a ton of info concerning this question to be found here, that was the point. You may have the final word...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
.............. I add Stabl to a full tank and run the engine for 5 minutes................
That's a new one on me............are you SUPPOSED to run the motor for "five minutes" (or at all) after adding the Sta-bil????

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
Yes. You got to get the stuff throughout the system. Best way is take a ride but you've parked yours. By riding you mix it also in the tank. It doesn't do much good just pour in. Goes to the bottom and sets. Sorta. It does mix some.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts