Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's not really any point in time in Kansas that motorcycle are put away for months, but I still somewhat winterize.

Today being in the 50's I thought it was a good day. I cycled my trickle chargers between all the bikes, ATV and mowers. It's been so dry here, I had ~30 gallons of fuel in gas cans to use due to not having to mow since July 4th.

I used that to top off all bikes, ATV, mowers and generator. Then I added Honda stabilizer and started each piece of equipment and let them run for ten to fifteen minutes to circulate the stabilizer, most are shut down by shutting fuel off and letting them starve.

I also top off air pressure after having had a few days of freezing temps already.

You all have any particular routine you do for cold weather?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You all have any particular routine you do for cold weather?
I start running ethanol free stuff about a month before parking it & I use a battery tender.
That's about it. Fresh oil would be nice but I only have 4K on the stuff in there & it's expensive.

Edit...
I should add that I fill the tank to 1" from the top to avoid condensation from the trapped air.
It should not be over filled so as to avoid raw fuel in the evaporation or vent lines on bikes so equipped.

·
Visionary
6,215 Posts
The 4 bikes ( 2 Scouts, Hawk, and Kingpin) that don't get Winter ridden get their tanks filled up with fresh gas with Stabil added, ridden a few miles to get that through the system and then get plugged in and stuck together in the corner of the garage. All had reasonably fresh oil in them so no oil changes needed, if it was old I would have changed it too.
The fuel systems were winterized 2 weeks ago but haven't plugged them in yet, good reminder that I should do it.

The 4 that we do ride all year I usually start plugging them in around now to keep the batteries 100%, since we use heated gear, heated seats, grips, etc on them and sometimes I don't think the charging system keeps them 100% with the heavy loads. Just a precaution but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I do pretty much the same thing as Mike 721 above I'm also fortunate enough to have a heated garage to jeep them in along with the 2 classic cars. Rest of the fleet is parked in the 30x70FT shop heated with a diesel-powered heater that's only used when I'm out there. Sometimes it's nice to just go out into the garage on a cold day pull up a chair grab a cold beer and just Hange out with the bikes.

·
Visionary
6,215 Posts
Well I HAD a heated garage..
I went out there last night to plug in some chargers and add some air to tires, and I figured it was a good idea to throw the breaker and turn on the heat to the winter standby ( 40F) since it's been dropping down to 25F most nights and it was 34 in the garage, I have fluids I don't want to freeze.
The heater elements came on, but the fan didn't, apparently the fan motor seized up over the summer. I'll take it apart tonight ( I wonder if I can get the fan out 12 feet in the air or if I have to remove the whole unit..we shall see) and see if I can lubricate and revive the fan motor or if I have to replace it.
Oh well...

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,318 Posts
Shutting off the fuel and letting the engine starve to a halt is a good idea, but I haven't had a bike in the last 20 or more years that actually had a fuel switch. With EFI I add the stabilizer (Stabil) and let the engine run for 5 to 8 minutes and then turn the key to off. I've never had a problem come Spring. I use Battery Tenders rather than a trickle charged. Once hooked up, I never need to touch the Tenders until Spring. I do stuff rags into the exhaust pipes to discourage the potential critters that might want to make in a nest in them.

Reactions: farmer bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Shutting off the fuel and letting the engine starve to a halt is a good idea, but I haven't had a bike in the last 20 or more years that actually had a fuel switch. With EFI I add the stabilizer (Stabil) and let the engine run for 5 to 8 minutes and then turn the key to off. I've never had a problem come Spring. I use Battery Tenders rather than a trickle charged. Once hooked up, I never need to touch the Tenders until Spring. I do stuff rags into the exhaust pipes to discourage the potential critters that might want to make in a nest in them.
I remove my seat and store it in a plastic bin to keep critters from possibly chewing on it. (This happened to one of my 4 wheelers) I also put fabric softener sheets in the exhaust, air intake and saddle bags to keep critters out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts