Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a taller touring windshield for my bike, and have found them online. It is about $20 more for a clear windshield than the tinted "smoke" color. Does anyone have a preference one way or another? Any reason not to get the less expensive smoke windscreen?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had clear, figuring I didn't want the color distortion from two layers of tint, being as I used a tinted visor on my helmet. Also, I didn't want to look through tint at night.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. Do you generally look through your windscreen? I don't, but mine is really short.

Right now l just have a clear visor on my helmet.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I don't like the smoke for the same reason of riding at night. Mine comes to about even with my nose, so I don't look down the road through it, but a large part of what's directly in front of my bike is seen through it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't like the smoke for the same reason of riding at night. Mine comes to about even with my nose, so I don't look down the road through it, but a large part of what's directly in front of my bike is seen through it.
Same.

I'll add that mine was a quick detach Spotech. I only used it in the winter. Summer breeze makes me feel fine.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
They used to make aviator style sunglasses with real thin little side frames that fit under a helmet. (I guess now they make them mostly for style and not so much for practicality.)

Maybe there's a spray coating you could get for the visor?

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Window

Smoke or tinted is hard to see through in the rain. But you likely will not be looking through it. But I only use clear for my helmet visor.
The double bubble I got cost about a $100-. I made one from lexan, cost about $15- is quite a bit higher and works better. Will make a larger one next time.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying a clear touring windshield from Zero Gravity and installed it the other day at work, and it made a significant difference! I really didn't feel nearly as much wind as before...it must have just been sending the wind right over my head, where before l would feel these huge gusts around my neck and face. The downside is, it was a pain in the butt to swap out, and l accidentally chipped a little bit of paint around the edge of my fairing taking the old one out. I guess l should have taken the whole fairing off :-( Kind of made me feel stupid but one of the guys at work has done a lot of body work and painting and he is confident we can touch it up to look perfect again. Honestly, l doubt anyone would notice, but l know it's there.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I didn't have a windscreen of any type on my first bike. As a result perhaps, I felt as if (especially at highway speeds) I was "hanging on" to the bike.

THIS bike CAME with a "clear" windshield. Good thing, since my visor in the "Bell Pit Boss" helmet CAME with a tinted visor. The windscreen comes to about my nose (I saw a video that talked about how high your windscreen should be that I will look for an post here if I can find it). I don't have that same wind pressure pushing me back, and I LOVE the fact that the bugs that used to land on my faceshield (or visor) or jacket front, NOW are stopped by the windscreen!

Since I only ride (if I can help it) on sunny days, and not at night, the tinted visor on my helmet is a real blessing!! I can change it out to a clear one if I like, but I also have a pair of form-fitting prescription glasses that I wear (no tinting) that keep the wind out of my eyes, if I leave the visor up.

Some of the newer bikes have those "detachable" windscreens and I have to say I like the quick-release aspect. I would hope that it (the quick-release mechanism) is durable, and doesn't wear out over time, to the point where it could potentially come dis-attached during a ride!!
MY windscreen is screwed on with no quick-release.

Here's that video I watched some time ago.........

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
I had a quick release on my VTX before I put a batwing on it and never once used it. Well, not until I put the batwing on. I got the same mount but for batwing which made for a super easy swap. Then sold the windshield since I'd never swap it anyway. Well, not really sold it. Gave it away for cost of shipping if someone close didn't come by and and just pick it up. Guess I scared everyone off when I said they'd have to come down 3 1/2 miles of gravel. It shipped.:D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I bought a Memphis Shades "Pop Top" windshield for my Raider, and WANTED a clear one, but closest thing they had was called a "solar" colored shield. It's basically a super-light smoke tint, and I like it fine. I do ride at night (rarely) but this shield sits so low that visibility isn't a problem. Same on rainy rides.

...Some of the newer bikes have those "detachable" windscreens and I have to say I like the quick-release aspect. I would hope that it (the quick-release mechanism) is durable, and doesn't wear out over time, to the point where it could potentially come dis-attached during a ride!!
The quick-release mechanisms are usually very sturdy and reliable, they shouldn't ever fail on you especially while you're riding. But the BIGGER concern to keep in mind is, be careful the windshield doesn't "quick release" to some thief in a parking lot :(

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I changed out the stock clear screen on my Explorer for a smoked MadStad screen. Best investment I've made for her. Wind noise is next to nothing, no turbulence, no vibration, nothing, as far as I'm concerned it's the perfect screen.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree with the comment ... the windshield is the same height as the tip of my nose (when Im seated on the bike). So I look over the top of the shield when I ride. I dont think I'm really seeing anything through the shield - at least most of the time. The shield is just right ... to send the airturbulence over the top of my helmet. works perfectly.

dT

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Window

On a regular sit up bike you look over the top to a point about 10 or 15 feet ahead of the bike. Then you can duck down and look through the window if you like. On a sport bike like Hawks, it is about impossible to look through the window unless your chin is on the tank. Many change the stock window to something a bit higher. Makes it easier to blow the wind over the top. Many of the bikes that go round the IOM have windows with a steeper slope.
Yesteryear the GP bikes had nicer fairings with larger windows. It was much easier to tuck behind them.
I made my new window from a piece of Lexan. Cost about $15-. Will make another one even bigger.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
140 Posts
l will figure out how to darken my visor
It may be worth seeing if they sell a tinted visor for your helmet so you can swap them out if you get stuck riding in the dark.

When my wife and I went to buy her bike it was about 300 mi away. I told her that I DO NOT want to get stuck riding in the dark on the way home so we have to leave BEFORE noon...we didn't leave till 3:00pm. I rode through the worst stretch of deer infested roads with wind directly in my eyes cause I had to ride with the visor up (cause it was tinted) I almost hit a dead moose that was in the middle of the road at one point, people were trying to run me off the road cause I was going slow. I guess bottom line is that I should have left when I wanted to but, I clear visor would have been nice right about then. Now I always have a clear and a tinted visor with me just in case plans don't work out.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It may be worth seeing if they sell a tinted visor for your helmet so you can swap them out if you get stuck riding in the dark.

When my wife and I went to buy her bike it was about 300 mi away. I told her that I DO NOT want to get stuck riding in the dark on the way home so we have to leave BEFORE noon...we didn't leave till 3:00pm. I rode through the worst stretch of deer infested roads with wind directly in my eyes cause I had to ride with the visor up (cause it was tinted) I almost hit a dead moose that was in the middle of the road at one point, people were trying to run me off the road cause I was going slow. I guess bottom line is that I should have left when I wanted to but, I clear visor would have been nice right about then. Now I always have a clear and a tinted visor with me just in case plans don't work out.
I hear that. I have basically decided that l will get a tinted visor that l can swap out in a heartbeat...but my girlfriend caught me looking at a jacket on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and advised me that she would be REALLY PISSED if l bought myself something that she was buying me for Christmas, so l am sitting on my hands for the time being :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts